The Northern League is filled with goal scorers and here are the best three so far this season.
Top Scorer- Paul Brayson (Newcastle Benfield) 26
Brayson, aged 39, is a joint player manager alongside Mark Covery at Newcastle Benfield. The ex-Newcastle striker is very experienced in lower and non-league football playing for clubs like Durham City and Harrogate several years ago. Brayson never played at Newcastle and was sold to Blackburn in 1998. Struggling for goals at Blackburn, Brayson was sold to Cardiff City in 2000 and since then has been a goal scorer at all the clubs he has played for. Already scoring 26 for Benfield is very impressive by the veteran striker this season.
2. Andrew Johnson (Bishop Auckland) 24
Johnson has been a prolific striker in both spells playing for Bishop Auckland. After first joining the club in 2011 Johnson has now amassed over 100 goals for the club including one season in which the forward netted 39 league goals. After gaining publicity for his goal scoring ability Johnson had spells at Blyth Spartans and Darlington 1883 before returning to Bishop in 2014. Since re-signing Johnson has looked as good as he has in his first spell for the Two Blues and already has 21 goals to his name this season.
3. John Campbell (Newton Aycliffe) 23
Just like Brayson, Campbell was a product of the Newcastle youth system. With an impressive 22 goals to his name already the 28-year-old striker is scoring for fun in his first full season at Newton Aycliffe. After being released by Newcastle in 2002 as a youngster Campbell spent four years as a youth player at Man City. After leaving City in 2006 Campbell didn’t play for a club until 2009 for West Allotment Celtic. After working his way up through northern non-league football Campbell played for League Two side Oxford United as recently as 2015. Now back in the Northern League with Newton Aycliffe the striker has definitely found his level of football.
Extended List of Top Scorers
- Paul Brayson (Newcastle Benfield) 26
- Andrew Johnson (Bishop Aukland) 24
- John Campbell (Newton Aycliffe) 23
- Luke Sullivan (Consett) 20
- Lee Mason (North Shields) 19
- Danny Earl (Marske United) and James Ellis (Ryhope CW) 17
- Liam Brooks (Whitley Bay, 16 for Alnwick Town), Adam Burnicle (West Auckland Town), Martyn Coleman (Penrith) ,Mark Davison (9 for Morpeth Town, 7 for Washington), Craig Lynch (Seaham Red Star) and Michael Sweet (Consett) 16
- Carl Finnigan (South Shields) and Matthew Waters (Washington) 15