Silksworth fell short against fellow Sunderland side Ashbrooke.

Silksworth fell short against fellow Sunderland side Ashbrooke.

Ashbrooke Belford House manager Asa Dobbing hailed his side’s character as they came from behind to beat city rivals Silksworth 4-3 in a whirlwind finale on Saturday.

Speaking after the game, Dobbing said: “I’m really pleased with the performance, I thought we were the better side and deserved the win. We could have thrown the towel in at 3-2 down but we kept going and got our rewards.”

The game was entertaining from the start despite testing conditions. Silksworth had the first chance of the game after five minutes when Paul Muir forced a smart save from David Passmore in the Ashbrooke goal.

Midway through the first half the visitors took the lead after John Maddison found Mitchell who curled home from just outside the penalty area.

The lead didn’t last long though, as Stephen Bourne closed down Joe Clayton’s clearance before composing himself and slotting home the equalizer just two minutes later.

The goal inspired Ashbrooke and they were unlucky not to be ahead shortly after as Farquhar dragged his shot just wide after a great run by Kieran Stokoe.

Silksworth had a chance of their own just before half time but Adam Storey dragged his shot wide from the edge of the area.

Belford House were on top early on in the second half as Stokoe took advantage of the conditions by hanging corners underneath the crossbar. One such effort nearly found its way into the back of the net and only the post prevented them from taking the lead.

Despite this, Silksworth nearly scored a breakaway goal, with Clayton Passmore making a terrific one vs one save to ensure the game remained level.

Ashbrooke took advantage of this miss to take the lead just before the hour mark when Corey Sewell got on the end of a ball from Stephen Bogie to put them in front.

This seemed to act as a warning sign for the away side, and centre forward Paul Muir twice fired over from close range.

Muir was frustrated again as Jordan Stewart made a goal saving clearance on the line with around 20 minutes to go.

Ashbrooke were made to pay soon after when Kieran Mitchell took advantage of hesitant defending to nip in between the centre half and the goalkeeper to draw Silksworth level.

Inside the final 10 minutes they took the lead through Rob Hall who nodded home.

But Ashbrooke didn’t lie down and Stephen Curry equalized from a Kieran Stokoe corner with just five minutes to go.

The game looked destined to go to penalties but in the last minute Stephten Bourne closed down another clearance from Joe Clayton and the ball defelcted off him into the back of the net to put Belford House into the next round of the Durham Cup.