Ryhope's Tom Bott grabbed the equaliser but the hosts couldn't hold on.

Ryhope’s Tom Bott grabbed the equaliser but the hosts couldn’t hold on.

Ryhope CW’s four game winning streak in the Northern League came to an end on Tuesday night as they lost 4-1 at home to Bishop Auckland.

Jonathan Wright put the visitors ahead, before Tom Bott equalised to level the scores going into the break.

Richard Paxton turned the ball into his own net to restore The Two Blues’ lead, before Andrew Johnson and Michael Hoganson put further gloss on the scoreline in the closing minutes.

Colliery Welfare remain in 15th position in Division One of the Northern League following their first league defeat since November 5 against Newton Aycliffe.

Assistant boss Stu Gooden said: “It was disappointing because we’ve had a great run of four games when we’ve played good stuff, but tonight I felt that we lacked quality.

“If we showed a bit of nous about ourselves we could’ve got something, but I feel that 4-1 didn’t reflect the game.”

Bishop’s left-back Hoganson was involved early on as he seemed to be hauled down in the area as he looked to fire a shot away, but his side’s strong penalty appeals were waved away.

James Ellis nearly gave Ryhope the lead after quarter of an hour, but his effort was well saved by Scott Pocklington.

Ryhope continued to apply pressure, and nearly opened the scoring when Weirs picked up a slack clearance by Pocklington and set Joey Melvin, but the forward’s effort went just wide of the near post.

But it was Bishop Auckland who took the lead after 23 minutes. Wright got on the end of a long ball forward by Hoganson and hit low with his left foot from the edge of the box past Ryhope stopper Jonny Ball.

Ryhope equalised seven minutes later as Bott hit home from close range after Chris Trewick found the defender unmarked in the area, and his volley gave Pocklington no chance.

Bishop’s full-back Stuart Thompson could have restored their lead just after the break, but he somehow hit the crossbar from 12 yards out as an open goal faced him.

But, the 19-time Northern League champions retook the lead just before the hour mark as Paxton steered through the legs of Ball and into his own net as Wright drilled across goal.

Johnson made the points safe with five minutes remaining as he turned and shot inside the area giving Ball no chance.

Hoganson made the scoreline look even prettier for the visitors as a short corner eventually found him unmarked on the edge of the box and his right-footed effort was too powerful for Ball, to make it 4-1.

Gooden said: “First 20 minutes they were on top. After they scored, we had the much better of the first half and got our deserved equaliser to go in at half-time full of optimism.

“There was a lack of quality from both sides to be fair. Then they got a very fortuitous second goal, then we had ten minutes where we created a couple of chances but made the wrong choices in the penalty box.

“It was maybe one of those nights. There wasn’t much quality, they were just booting it long, there wasn’t much room in behind them where we usually catch teams out.”

Ryhope will look to bounce back from this defeat as they face Jarrow Roofing BCA this Saturday at the Boldon CA Sports Ground.