City of Liverpool came out on top in a fiery encounter at  Recreation Park, beating Ryhope CW 2-1 away to move into the 3rd Round of the FA Vase.

The Purps took the lead in the 43rd minute through captain Joe Camozzi before doubling their lead in the 51st through Karl Noon.

Ryhope responded on the hour thanks to Thomas Bott, but they couldn’t find another goal to complete a turnaround.

It was a highly anticipated game in the 2nd round of the Vase against a well supported club in City of Liverpool who brought over 200 fans to the North East, something that Ryhope manager Gary Pearson touched upon in his programme notes, saying: “I’m excited that we’ve got around 200 to 300 fans coming up from Liverpool, they’ll be making some noise and I’ll be excited to hear some noise at Ryhope Colliery Welfare.”

However, the atmosphere seemed to take its toll on the Ryhope players early in the game, City of Liverpool going close twice early doors first a John McGeath cross flashed across the face of the goal, then a header from a corner had to be cleared off the line by Ryhope’s Nat Skidmore.

Welfare settled into the game after the first 15 minutes and were on top for a period of the first half. Matty Weirs found James Ellis with a through ball in the 22nd minute, the winger released a fierce shot at goal which was saved by Karl Wills.

Ellis had another chance in the 31st minute when he was found by a Joey Melvin flick on, the goalkeeper came out to meet him to the bouncing ball and he could only poke it straight at Wills.

Then City of Liverpool got the breakthrough in the 43rd minute, David Gordon was caught in possession just outside of his box by Noon, the winger squared to captain Camozzi who tapped the ball past Jonny Ball.

The Purps doubled their lead early in the second half when Noon was found in space on the edge of the box, he fired home a left-footed half-volley.

Ryhope got back into the game seemingly from nothing when Bott was allowed to stroll into space in midfield, he then released a stunning shot from 30 yards that cannoned in off the crossbar.

This gave Welfare a lifeline, but it was City of Liverpool who went closest to scoring towards the end of the game, first Elliot Nevitt missed one-on-one with Ball after capitalising on a mistake from Ben Riding.

Nevitt was allowed in again in the 72nd minute, he squared to Noon who had his first effort saved by Ball and missed with his second attempt.

The win made it three home losses in a row for Ryhope, all of them lost on fine margins, on the game Pearson said: “It was pretty even, at times they slightly edged us, quality wise we didn’t have enough in the final third and I think it took us 15 minutes to get into the game.

“It might be the noise or the fact we were playing in the vase but I think we froze early doors.”

Pearson did believe the atmosphere had a part to play in the game saying, “our players need guidance quite often from myself but I couldn’t really get the message across, but well played to the crowd they’ve come up to enjoy themselves and I wish them the best going on in the competition.”

Ryhope head into another busy week with an away fixture against Hebburn Town in the League Cup before a league game against Washington, on upcoming fixtures Pearson added: “We might have to rest a couple up, we’re at three defeats in a row so I’ve said to them can you go and stop that rot?

“Because as soon as you start losing a few games you get a few players who get unsettled, but I thought we did well today but unfortunately we’ve come off slightly short.”