Easington Colliery claimed a first win in seven with a 2-1 win over Esh Winning at the Welfare Park on Saturday afternoon.

Liam Cooke put the Colliers ahead in the 27th minute, and substitute Jack Pounder doubled the lead on the hour mark.

Esh Winning pulled a goal back through Daniel Mitchell in the 87th minute, but it wasn’t enough to deny the Green Army of all three points.

Kyle Donaldson returned to the Easington side to play in-goal, while Garon Garside started in place of the missing Chris Pearson.

Pounder returned to the squad having missed Thursday’s game, but he had to be content with a place on the bench.

Upon kick-off, both sides created chances. Connor Short managed to get an effort away for the Colliers in the third minute, but it proved an easy take for Tom Orton.

Three minutes later, at the other end, Nick Marley tried his luck. However, his effort darted well wide.

Lincoln Barrow and Cooke linked up in the seventh minute, but the latter’s eventual effort was blocked.

Orton’s easy save prevented a Shane O’Brien header soon after before Esh Winning had a big chance to open the scoring in the 11th minute. A good cross picked out the totally unmarked Connor Halpin, but his free header failed to find the target.

With a quarter of an hour played, the Colliers had a good spell of possession in the Esh Winning half. Ethan Wood and Barrow both put crosses into the penalty area, but the visitors dealt with them.

David Vincent was next to try his luck with a couple of shots. His first effort drifted wide, and his second three minutes later was blocked.

With exactly 25 minutes played, Glenn Hendrix’s cross-cum-shot for Esh was caught by Donaldson.

Easington’s opener came in the 27th minute. Lewis Green’s perfect through ball played Cooke in, and his confident finish put the Colliers ahead.

Five minutes later, Cooke almost collected his second. Another through ball gave the former Middlesbrough man a chance, and he turned his marker to create room. Spotting the ‘keeper off his line, Cooke scooped the ball over him but it didn’t have enough power and an Esh defender cleared Cooke’s effort off the line.

A quiet period then followed as both sides failed to create anything in the final third.

O’Brien rose to meet a corner with five minutes of the first half to play, but his header looped over the crossbar.

In first half injury time, Vincent went close to adding a second. Great feet saw Vincent lose his man on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot just evaded the far bottom corner.

Three minutes after the restart, a good chance fell the way of Esh Winning. The ball fell kindly to Halpin eight yards from goal, but his shot failed to find the target.

Wood drove a long-range effort over the crossbar in the 53rd minute, before O’Brien had another effort saved.

Although the Colliers were creating chances, Esh Winning were still dangerous. Marley took aim just before the hour mark, but Dan Martin blocked.

A good save from Orton turned Cooke’s effort behind for a corner, and the resulting dead ball came to nothing.

However, seconds later, the Colliers doubled their lead. Wood’s pinpoint cross picked out substitute Pounder, and he turned the ball into the net only four minutes after coming on.

Having fallen two behind, Esh Winning went in search of their first. Marley’s header forced a save from Donaldson in the 64th minute before Mitchell’s effort was blocked.

With 20 minutes to play, Liam Adamson and Pounder linked up. Adamson got a shot away, but it failed to find the target.

Luke Wilson shot wide for Esh Winning in the 71st minute, before Jonathan Swift headed Max Stoker’s cross wide for the visitors only a minute later.

In the 77th minute, the Green Army almost wrapped up the win. Chris Freeman played a quick ball down the line to find Adamson. He played a quick one-two with Pounder before his curling effort bounced back off the crossbar. Pounder latched onto the rebound, but he couldn’t steer his header on target.

Adamson failed to find the target with a couple of efforts inside the final 10 minutes.

In the 87th minute, Esh Winning ensured a nervy finish as they halved the deficit. An initial free-kick was blocked by the wall, but Mitchell drilled the rebound into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Wilson had an effort to pinch a point for Esh Winning, but his effort was crucially deflected behind for a corner.

Pounder shot just wide in the third added minute, but it wouldn’t matter as the Colliers claimed all three points.

The win sees Easington climb back to fifth in the league, and defeats for Chester-le-Street Town, Birtley Town and Jarrow FC alongside Billingham Town being held to a point helps the Colliers’ cause.

Full-time: Easington Colliery 2-1 Esh Winning

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Lincoln Barrow (Freeman, 68′), Goundry (Pounder, 56′), Garside, Martin, O’Brien, Vincent, Green (Adamson, 65′), Short, Liam Cooke, Wood (c)

Unused subs: Talbot, Robson

Esh Winning: Orton, Summerson (Johnson, 76′), Young, Stoker (c), Blackbourne, Swift, Hendrix (McKellar, 46′), Wilson, Marley, Halpin (Mitchell, 65′), Brown

Unused subs: Smith, Heiniger