Easington Colliery booked a spot in the quarter-finals of the Durham Challenge Cup with a win on penalties at Whickham on Wednesday night.

In very difficult conditions, a poor game finished 0-0 but the Colliers won 3-1 in a penalty shoot-out to book a spot in the last eight of the prestigious tournament.

Despite James Talbot and Chris Pearson missing in the shootout, a combination of Shaun Smith, Brennan Ball and Ethan Wood converting as well as two saves from Kyle Donaldson booked the Colliers a spot in the quarter-finals.

With the cup-tied Jack Pounder missing, managers Craig Hughes and Craig Veart made two changes as Robbie Thompson and Jay Redman came in to replace Pounder and Shaun Smith who arrived late.

On a heavy pitch and with wind and rain swirling round, the Colliers started the brighter.

In the seventh minute, a long ball found Thompson and his flick played Liam Adamson in but his effort was saved by the legs of John Mordey.

Another half chance came a minute later as Ball picked up possession 30 yards from goal but his long-range effort darted wide of the far post.

Despite it being an even encounter in the opening exchanges, it was the Colliers who were creating the chances.

Wood fancied his chance from a dangerous free-kick in the 12th minute but it proved an easy save for Mordey.

From this point, Whickham restricted the chances and started to edge possession.

Despite this, their first chance didn’t come until the 21st minute. Andrew Bulford picked up possession on the edge of the penalty area but his effort took a deflection to loop over the bar.

As the rain became heavier, Ian Redman whipped a free-kick into the penalty area for the Green Army but Pearson’s header was too high.

A bit of slack defending gifted Whickham a good chance in the 28th minute. However, when gifted a great opportunity, Joe Mole could only blaze his effort over the crossbar.

Little came from the remainder of the first half. It was a non-event for long periods of time and the two sides went into the break level.

The second half started with Whickham applying pressure. With five minutes played, the Lang Jacks won four back-to-back corners. The third of these wreaked havoc in the Easington penalty area as the ball was bundled towards goal where it bounced off the crossbar and the Colliers were lucky to survive.

Smith was introduced just before the hour mark and his pace caused the hosts problems. He made several darting runs but there was no end product as the Colliers struggled to threaten Mordey’s goal.

Donaldson was forced into a save to prevent a Daniel Candlish free-kick in the 57th minute before a sharp counter saw Adamson almost play in Smith but it was slightly over hit and an easy take for Mordey.

In a rare second half shot for the Colliers, Ryan Lincoln Barrow skewed high and wide from 25 yards.

Halfway through the second half, Whickham almost broke the deadlock. Ross Pearth collected possession 20 yards from goal and drove an effort that had Donaldson beaten but it clipped the outside of the post.

20 minutes from time, Ball won the Colliers a free-kick right on the byline. The resulting free-kick was driven across the face of goal where the smallest of touches would have put the Colliers ahead but it wasn’t to be.

A few further Whickham corners followed with a quarter of an hour to play but the Colliers dealt with them well.

Wood tried his luck from almost his own half in the 82nd minute after spotting Mordey off his line but the Whickham stopper was able to backtrack and catch easily.

The woodwork came to the rescue of the Colliers again with only four minutes to play. A low ball came into the penalty area and a quick turn gave the hosts a chance to shoot but it bounced back off the corner between the post and crossbar.

That proved to be it and penalties were needed to separate the sides.

Smith tucked away Easington’s first and Steven Aiston followed suit to make it 1-1 after one each. Talbot’s effort was saved but then Donaldson saved well to prevent Mole.

Still level, Pearson’s effort hit the post and it looked a difficult ask for the Colliers. But, Donaldson produced another save to prevent John Martin.

Ball did his job and dispatched and it was advantage Easington when Pearth dragged his penalty wide to make it 1-2 after four each.

Wood stepped up and tucked away the decisive penalty to send the Colliers into the quarter-finals.

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Ball, Lincoln Barrow, Pearson (c), Ian Redman, Wood, Talbot, Vincent (Appleby, 61′), Adamson, Thompson (Shaun Smith, 56′), Jay Redman (O’Brien, 72′)

Unused subs: Brian Smith, Freeman

Whickham: Mordey, Lancaster, Shickle (Norton, 72′), Brown, Soutar, Jelley, Wharton, Pearth, Bulford, Mole (Aiston, 62′), Candlish