Easington Colliery fought for a much-needed 3-2 win at Brandon United on Saturday afternoon.

James Talbot, Ethan Wood and Liam Adamson were all on the scoresheet as the Colliers claimed an important three points.

Easington Colliery AFC won their first game in eight attampts | Picture Credit: Easington Colliery AFC

Talbot lobbed the keeper to put Easington ahead in the 18th minute and Ethan Wood’s fine free-kick doubled the lead five minutes later.

Former Collier Jack Pounder halved the deficit just two minutes after Ethan Wood’s free-kick, but Adamson added Easington’s third 10 minutes from time.

Aaron Jackson pulled one back for Brandon, but the Colliers held firm for a big three points.

With a number of players missing, the interim management team of Chris Pearson and Paul Adamson started with Harry Wood leading the line alongside Jay Redman. Ryan Barrow came into midfield for his first start of the season, while Talbot and Ethan Wood worked the wings.

On a bobbly pitch, it was the hosts who created the first chance as the ball fell to Vinny Gash but his volley was easily saved for Easington goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson.

The Colliers had plenty of possession in the early stages but failed to create any real chances.

Pounder went close for Brandon on the 15 minute mark when his powerful 20 yard drive dipped just over the bar, before Easington’s first chance of the game saw Barrow lay the ball off to Harry Wood but his tame effort was saved.

A minute later, Easington got the opener through Talbot. David Vincent collected possession in the centre of the park and played the ball out to Talbot, who drove down the wing and found himself in plenty of space, before spotting the goalkeeper in no man’s land, with the former Hebburn Town man hitting a finely executed lob from a tight angle, which found its way into the far corner.

The Colliers were two up less than five minutes later. Vincent was fouled on the edge of the penalty area, and Ethan Wood curled the subsequent free-kick round the four-man wall and into the top corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

With the game’s third goal in less than 10 minutes, Brandon halved the deficit just before the half hour mark. A ball came into the penalty area and Pounder was able to stab it home. The assistant referee originally ruled the goal out for offside, but after consultation with the referee, the goal stood.

Ethan Wood and Jake Metcalf both had half chances in the latter stages of the first half, but both failed to trouble Kris Carr in the Brandon goal, before Redman’s cross-cum-shot just evaded the top corner.

Despite going into the break with a lead, the Green Army knew that plenty more work was needed in the second half, which started quietly, with no real chances inside the opening 10 minutes.

Adamson was introduced into the fray in the 55th minute and he had an immediate impact. A ball over the top gave the youngster a chase and he latched onto the ball, but was eventually denied by a combination of the goalkeeper and Steven Turnbull.

Talbot, Adamson and Redman all linked up well soon after, but Redman’s quick turn and shot was saved by Carr.

Brandon, in search of some inspiration, made a triple substitution on the hour mark, but it was the Colliers creating the chances. In the 65th minute, Redman did well to hold the ball up before laying it off to Ethan Wood, but his deflected effort was saved.

Easington had Donaldson to thank for keeping them ahead in the 73rd minute, when his superb save denied a header from point-blank range.

Quarter of an hour from time, Easington almost added a third. Adamson laid the ball off to Barrow and his original effort was crucially blocked. The ball then bounced off Redman but trickled agonisingly wide.

Adamson dragged wide once again soon after, before sealing the win for the Colliers 10 minutes from time. A perfectly weighted through ball played Adamson in and he rounded the keeper before slotting into an empty net.

The substitute – who has just returned from an injury which had kept him out of the last few games – had the ball in the net again in the 82nd minute, but was ruled offside.

Brandon were to pull another goal back as Brennan Ball’s header was too short for Donaldson, and Jackson nipped in to slot home, but it counted for little as Easington Colliery took the points.

Full-time: Brandon United 2-3 Easington Colliery

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Ball, Metcalf, Pearson (c), Appleby, Vincent, Ethan Wood, Barrow, Harry Wood (Adamson, 55′), Redman (Connor, 83′), Talbot (Cooke, 78′)

Brandon United: Carr, Searby, Marshall, Comby (Wren, 59′), Turnbull (c), Eltringham, Phillipson (Storey, 59′), White, Burton (Jackson, 59′), Pounder, Gash

Unused subs: Grayson, Alderson

Referee: David Fittes

Attendance: 82