Easington Colliery claimed a hard-fought 4-2 win over Crook Town at Consett on Tuesday night.

On a very foggy night, first half goals from Jack Pounder and David Vincent gave the impression it was going to be a comfortable night for the Colliers.

However, 20 minutes from time, Crook pulled one back, and they equalised with 12 minutes to play.

It was all to play for, but the Colliers lifted the game and claimed the win with goals from Lewis Green and Liam Adamson.

With no recognised centre half, the Colliers started with Brennan Ball and Aidan Goodey in the centre of defence, while Jake Metcalf and Tom Goundry played full-back.

The Colliers started brightly and almost broke the deadlock within 45 seconds. A James Talbot cross found its way through to Liam Cooke.

The Middlesbrough loanee took a touch before taking aim, but his effort darted narrowly wide with the ‘keeper, Callum Liddicot, beaten.

Further early half chances fell the way of Green and Pounder, but the ‘keeper saved on both occasions.

Talbot cushioned a volley wide with a quarter of an hour played, before Pounder’s scuffed effort was saved.

Crook were creating very little in the opening 20 minutes, and it was only a combination of saves and Easington not taking their chances that kept the Black and Ambers level.

In the 19th minute, Liddicott’s save prevented Talbot. Cooke’s through ball found the former Hebburn Town man, but Liddicott’s good save kept the Colliers at bay.

The Green Army continued to dominate as further chances for both Vincent and Pounder were eventually dealt with.

Crook’s first half chance came courtesy of a corner just before the half hour mark. Adam Comby rose to meet it, but his header was too high.

Metcalf went close for the Colliers from a couple of corners, but he failed to find the target on both occasions.

Good link up play found Ethan Wood with 37 minutes played, but his shot failed to find the target.

With six minutes of the first half to play, the Colliers deservedly broke the deadlock. Pounder took down a long ball, turned his marker and blasted a sublime 25-yard strike into the top corner giving Liddicott no chance.

Three minutes later, it was two. Goodey’s long-range shot was spilled by Liddicott, and Vincent was quickest to react to prod home the rebound.

Early second half chances fell the way of Vincent and Talbot, but neither could extend the Colliers’ lead.

The fog was prevalent throughout, but it seemed to worsen in the second half. You couldn’t see one side of the pitch from the other.

Liam Cooke and Pounder had further chances for Easington, but Liddicott was equal to both efforts.

Crook had a little spell of pressure with 25 minutes to play, but Daniel Quine and Wayne Gredziak could only force comfortable saves from Kyle Donaldson.

Just as Crook’s short spell of pressure came to an end, they halved the deficit. A looping header bounced back off the crossbar, Joel Gordon was quickest to react to give Crook hope.

And, as the fog worsened even further, Gordon pulled the hosts level with 13 minutes remaining.

Now level, the hosts had their heads up, but the Colliers responded.

Seven minutes remained when Green regained the Colliers’ lead. An initial effort was spilled by the ‘keeper, but Green was there to fire home and silence the home crowd.

In the second minute of additional time, Adamson wrapped up the win. The ball found him on the edge of the penalty area and he had plenty of time. He opened fire, and there was nothing the ‘keeper could do.

Although they made hard work of it, the Colliers collected the three points which lifts them to within five points of sixth placed Tow Law Town.

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Metcalf, Goundry, Green, Ball, Goodey (Lincoln Barrow, 76′), Liam Cooke, Wood (c) ,Pounder, Vincent (Adamson, 69′), Talbot (Michael Cooke, 60′)

Unused sub: Brian Smith

Crook Town: Liddicott, Wilson, Holliday, Joyce, Coles, Comby (c), Shields, Brown (Hackett, 51′), Paul (Gredziak, 46′), Quine (Gordon, 70’), Smith

Unused subs: Weston, Robertson