Easington Colliery came from behind to claim a league double over Whickham on Thursday night with a 3-2 win which moves them up to 11th in the table.

Only eight days after the Colliers had knocked Whickham out of the Durham Challenge Cup, goals from Jack Pounder, Liam Adamson and Shane O’Brien gave the Colliers the three points.

Pounder had fired the Colliers into a 15th minute lead but Whickham responded through Kyle Wharton only two minutes later.

Pounder then missed a penalty and Whickham took the lead through Kallum Broadhead in the second half.

However, late goals from Adamson and O’Brien ensured the Colliers took the three points.

Joint managers Craig Hughes and Craig Veart made two changes from Saturday’s defeat to Thornaby with Ethan Wood and Chris Freeman coming in for Liam Adamson and Ryan Lincoln Barrow.

In a much more entertaining game than the one eight days ago, the Colliers started brightly but failed to create any real chances in the opening 10 minutes.

It was the visitors who created the first shot when Ross Pearth found Joe Mole but he could only blaze harmlessly over.

With the first shot on target, the Green Army broke the deadlock. A long ball was helped on to play in Pounder and he made no mistake with a confident finish.

“You’re most vulnerable to conceding when you’ve just scored”, is a well-known phrase and one that punished the Colliers on Saturday and, tonight was exactly the same.

Less than two minutes after the Colliers had opened the scoring, Whickham were level. An inswinging corner caused havoc in the Easington penalty area and when the ball came through to the back post, Wharton’s simple header pulled the Lang Jacks level.

The Green Army responded well to losing their lead. A half chance fell the way of James Talbot with 20 minutes played but his effort was blocked and David Vincent’s effort soon after suffered the same fate.

Halfway through the first half, Kyle Donaldson was forced into a save to prevent Wharton.

A chance to regain the lead came the way of Vincent in the 25th minute. An Ethan Wood corner was cleared as far as the former Shildon man and he drove an effort which took deflection. But, luckily for Whickham, the deflection took it straight into the hands of John Mordey.

Another chance fell the way of the Colliers just after the half hour mark. Talbot’s great work gave him room to cross and it picked out Pounder but his header bounced back off the post with Mordey beaten.

Whickham were restricted to very few chances, but the Colliers knew they would have to take one of the chances at the other end.

A moment of controversy was to follow. Good football from the Colliers found Talbot and he played a quick one-two with Pounder. Just as Talbot was shooting, a challenge came in and brought him to the ground and the referee immediately blew for a penalty.

Talbot scored with the shot when fouled, but presumably not noticing that Talbot had shot, the referee disallowed the goal and awarded a penalty.

Had Pounder tucked away the penalty, the Green Army wouldn’t have been bothered about the disallowed goal but Pounder’s effort blazed over the bar and the Colliers felt hard done by.

Further chances fell the way of Easington before the break. Firstly, a weak Lewis Green header was saved before Brennan Ball’s mazy run resulted in a shot, but Mordey saved well to prevent the full-back scoring.

Despite looking the brighter and creating the chances, the Colliers were forced to go into the break level.

Seven minutes into the second half, Whickham had Mordey to thank for keeping them level. Michael Cooke was played in but Mordey made himself big and saved Cooke’s effort.

Substitute Shaun Smith failed to find the target with a shot across goal in the 57th minute before Whickham took the lead a minute later. The original shot was saved by Donaldson and the first follow up was blocked but no one could stop Broadhead’s third effort.

A 1-2 defeat would have been extremely harsh on the Colliers who continued to create chances. Both Smith and Pounder went agonisingly close before a couple of substitutions slowed the game down.

With 21 minutes to play, Chris Pearson fired not too far wide from long-range.

The Green Army continued to pile the pressure on Whickham, but they weren’t creating as many chances as they were early on.

A sharp break could have seen Whickham double their lead with 15 minutes to play. James Norton picked out Mole and he cut in before forcing a save from Donaldson.

It wasn’t until the 84th minute that the Colliers pulled level. Attractive football from Easington saw the ball worked towards Adamson and the substitute kept his cool to fire past Mordey into the net.

Everyone associated with Easington could feel a winner was coming and it arrived three minutes from time. Pearson’s long-range effort was palmed behind for a corner and the resulting corner was whipped into the penalty area where O’Brien leapt like a salmon to head home to the delight of the home support.

The Green Army saw out the remainder of the game well and the win lifts the Colliers to 11th in Northern League Division Two.

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Freeman, Ball, Pearson (c), Ian Redman (O’Brien, 61′), Cooke (Adamson, 70′), Green, Wood, Vincent (Shaun Smith, 54′), Pounder, Talbot

Unused subs: Brian Smith, Lincoln Barrow

Whickham: Mordey, Lancaster, Shickle (Norton, 61′), Soutar, Hedley, Jelley, Broadhead (Cairns, 67′), Pearth (c), Mole, Wharton (Aiston, 81′), Candlish

Unused sub: Bulford