Easington Colliery progressed in the Northern League Cup on Thursday night with a dramatic win on penalties against Jarrow Roofing.

The Green Army won 7-6 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the routine 90 minutes.

Oliver Martin fired Jarrow Roofing into a 19th minute lead, but after a dominant second half, the Colliers pulled level through Liam Adamson in the 94th minute with the last kick of the game.

Captain Chris Pearson missed Easington’s first penalty but the Colliers came through to win 7-6 on penalties after eight penalties each.

Easington were missing Brennan Ball who has recently fractured his hand but Shaun Smith returned to the side.

Liam Adamson led the line and was supported by Smith and Jay Redman.

The game kicked off after an impeccably observed minute’s silence for former committee member Tommy Foster and it was the visitors who started the brighter.

Lee Kerr fired just wide in the third minute before a superb save from Kyle Donaldson prevented David Palmer and the rebound was saved too.

Easington’s first chance came in the 10th minute when free-flowing football saw Ethan Wood find Smith but his effort lacked power and was an easy take for Shaun Newbrook.

Easington grew into the game but couldn’t create any chances. It was still Roofing creating the play worthy of note.

Donaldson was forced into another save in the 18th minute but there was nothing he could do a minute later to prevent the Division One outfit from taking the lead.

A softly awarded free-kick was given on the corner of the penalty area and Martin took his chance by curling a fine effort into the far top corner giving Donaldson no chance.

Fighting against the wind, the Colliers were struggling to match Roofing in the first half.

Donaldson was called into action once again in the 26th minute to prevent a long-range effort before Smith went in the book for a late challenge.

With one of Easington’s few half chances in the first half, James Talbot whipped a fine cross into the penalty area and it just needed a slight touch but no one could find that touch and bounced to safety.

A couple of Easington corners came to nothing before Jarrow Roofing almost doubled their lead five minutes from time. Martin took control of a 25-yard free-kick and his low effort had Donaldson beaten but bounced back off the post.

And, a combination of Donaldson and the woodwork came to Easington saviour again 90 seconds later. Lee Kerr spotted Donaldson off his line and tried his luck from 40 yards but Donaldson backtracked to push the ball onto the crossbar.

Easington had a couple of late corners in the first half but failed to create any chances and the visitors went into the break with a deserved lead.

With the wind now on their side, Easington looked a totally different side in the second half. After an opening 45 minutes of being second best, the Colliers pinned Roofing in their own half for much of the second half.

Redman and Talbot both had early efforts saved before Wood’s curling free-kick dipped just wide.

Talbot had another go just after the hour mark but his curling effort from a tight angle just say evaded the far post.

In a rare second half chance for the visitors, Kerr worked the ball out to Palmer in the 66th minute but he failed to find the target.

And, seconds later, at the other end, the Colliers created their best chance to date. Wood’s defence-splitting ball played Smith in but Newbrook made himself big and did well to deny Smith.

Redman and Adamson both created further half chances to no avail before Chris Freeman entered the fray for the Colliers.

Pearson danced a way through with 17 minutes to play but Newbrook held his powerful drive before Wood’s low drive was blocked.

As the game approached its final 10 minutes, Jarrow Roofing dealt with a couple of Easington corners before a sharp counter-attack from the Colliers saw Vincent burst through and find Smith but he could only blaze over.

In the 85th minute, the Colliers went even closer to drawing level. Wood took responsibility of a free-kick but his effort agonisingly bounced back off the post.

Substitute James Connor then headed a glorious chance over before a couple of Easington free-kicks came to nothing.

Just as it was looking as though it wasn’t Easington’s night, Adamson sent the home support ecstatic with a 94th minute equaliser. A perfectly weighted through ball played Adamson in and he rounded the ‘keeper before slotting home.

Adamson’s goal proved to be the last kick of the game and with no extra-time in the Northern League Cup, penalties were to decide the tie.

Pearson’s first penalty for Easington was saved but the Colliers were given a lifeline when Palmer’s effort for Roofing hit the crossbar. Vincent, Wood, Jimmy Appleby, Freeman, Connor and Adamson all scored meaning it was 6-6 after seven penalties each. Smith stepped up and tucked it away for the Colliers leaving the pressure on Roofing once again. Jamie Marshall stepped up but Donaldson saved and the Colliers won!

Full-time: Easington Colliery 1-1 Jarrow Roofing (Easington Colliery win 7-6 on penalties)

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Lincoln Barrow (Bulmer, 76′), Metcalf (Connor, 87′), Pearson (c), Appleby, Vincent, Wood, Smith, Adamson, Redman (Freeman, 70′), Talbot

Jarrow Roofing: Newbrook, Varga, Walton (Dadd, 70′), Donnelly (c), Myers, Gardiner, Clarke (Marshall, 70’), Kerr, Martin, Shanks, Palmer

Unused subs: Barnes, Collingwood

Attendance: 85

Referee: Christopher Ellis