Easington Colliery tasted a first defeat in 11 games  despite a dominant performance at Ryton & Crawcrook Albion on Saturday afternoon.

Albion were the last team to defeat the Colliers, 2-0 at the Welfare Park in September, and they repeated history today with another 2-0 win.

After a goalless first half, Sam Moore prodded the hosts into a 64th minute lead and Martyn Hepple added a second in the 84th minute.

The Colliers created chances throughout but couldn’t find the net in a very frustrating afternoon.

Easington managers Craig Veart and Craig Hughes named an unchanged starting XI from last weekend’s draw at Chester-le-Street. Shaun Smith played centre-forward alongside Jack Pounder while Ethan Wood and Liam Adamson worked the wings.

Despite a bright start from the Colliers, it was Ryton & Crawcrook Albion who created the first half chance as Moore collected possession on the edge of the penalty area but his effort trickled harmlessly wide.

In the sixth minute, Pounder appeared to be pushed in the penalty area but the referee waved the  appeals away.

Two minutes later, Pounder had the ball in the net. David Vincent’s clever dinked ball played Pounder in and he lobbed the ‘keeper only to be ruled offside.

As Easington continued to look the brighter, James Talbot did well to win a corner. Wood took responsibility and his inswinging ball found Vincent at the near post but his volley failed to find the target.

The best chance to date came in the 14th minute. Talbot’s low cross picked out Adamson in space 12 yards from goal but his effort ballooned over the crossbar in what was a real let off for the hosts.

The game then settled down with the Colliers controlling possession.

In the 22nd minute, Chris Pearson’s cross picked out Smith but his header failed to find the target while Talbot’s drilled cross seconds later just needed the slightest of touches but it didn’t come.

On a very tricky pitch where there was a bobble in every pass, the Colliers were playing some quick free-flowing football to open up the Albion. With 26 minutes played, Wood and Pounder played a quick one-two before Wood played the ball out wide to Adamson. Adamson cut in and looked up to curl an effort towards the back post but it was slightly too high.

Good work from Vincent teed up Adamson on the half hour mark but he couldn’t keep his effort down before a rare chance at the other end saw Ryton almost break the deadlock. A scuffed shot turned into a fine pass to play Moore in. His effort forced a fine save from Kyle Donaldson and the rebound was cleared off the line by Pearson.

Ten minutes before half-time, Pounder found room to shoot on the edge of the penalty area but his effort was deflected into the hands of Dom McMahon.

The first half performance was pleasing from the Colliers, but they knew they would need to break the deadlock early in the second half.

Less than four minutes into the second period, Pounder held the ball up well to find Smith. The pacy forward gave possession straight back to Pounder who managed to get a shot away but couldn’t find the target.

Four minutes later, another chance fell the way of Pounder. This time, Ryton’s ‘keeper sliced a clearance and it fell to Pounder whose effort was crucially blocked by a defender.

Ryton’s first chance of the second half, and only their third or fourth of the entire game, came in the 56th minute. Good football worked the ball to Michael Hedley but his effort failed to find the far bottom corner.

On the hour mark, the Green Army created an extended spell of pressure in the Ryton final third. Both Vincent and Talbot had half chances charged down before the hosts eventually cleared.

Seconds later, the Colliers introduced Jay Redman and he could have put the Green Army ahead within 30 seconds of his introduction. Pounder’s great work saw him beat two defenders before his delicate ball played Redman in. The midfielder dinked the ball over the ‘keeper but it was cleared off the line.

Vincent had a rather routine shot saved seconds later before the Colliers were made to rue on missed chances as the hosts took the lead. Totally against the run of play, clever build up play saw a ball across goal find Moore who had a simple tap in to give the Albion the lead.

One of the floodlights that was meant to be lighting the area the Colliers were attacking didn’t come on and it was quite dark down that end in the second half.

Pearson had a powerful effort blocked as the Colliers looked for a response before Smith fired wide of the Ryton goal.

Another of the lights then went out before Redman’s quick burst down the wing resulted with his dangerous cross being headed wide by Smith.

Redman fired wide with 16 minutes to play before Wood won the Colliers a corner. Wood’s corner was flicked up in the air and dropped for Smith but his acrobatic bicycle kick had too much elevation.

Talbot then tried his luck only to be prevented by McMahon and a real sucker-punch came when Ryton doubled their lead in the 84th minute. An original effort was kept out but there was no stopping Hepple’s follow up.

Easington kept plugging away but couldn’t create any clear-cut chances and a frustrating afternoon ended in defeat.

The Colliers will now look to get back to winning ways with a League Cup tie at home to Washington on Thursday night.

Full-time: Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 2-0 Easington Colliery

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Metcalf, Lincoln Barrow (O’Brien, 84′), Pearson (c), Appleby, Vincent, Wood, Talbot (Thompson, 84′), Smith, Pounder, Adamson (Redman, 60′)

Unused sub: Bulmer

Ryton & Crawcrook Albion: McMahon, Below (c), Smith, Moody, Barker, Anderson, Hepple, Crammond (McMeekin, 62′), Moore (Stoddart, 74′), Davis, Anstey (Hedley, 46’)

Unused sub: Houghton