Lynden Gooch of Sunderland

A Lynden Gooch brace wasn’t enough for Sunderland Under 23s as they crashed out of the Premier League International Cup on penalties losing 11-10 to Newcastle United Under 23s after the match finished 2-2.

Curtis Good gave the visitors the lead midway through the first half, but Lynden Gooch drew Sunderland level before half time.

Gooch grabbed his second midway through the second half, but Callum Roberts bagged an equaliser in stoppage time to send the game to extra time.

Stryjek saved a Roberts penalty in extra time and neither side could break the deadlock. The game was decided on penalties, with the visitors winning 11-10.

Both sides have been struggling in their leagues, but a place in the semi-finals of the Premier League International Cup awaited the winning side, with holders Porto the opposition in the next round.

Newcastle took the lead after 24 minutes when Roberts’ curling freekick was met by Good who hammered a header home.

Sunderland responded well to going behind and were level shortly before half time when Gooch was fouled in the box. The American stepped up himself and fired an effort in to the bottom right hand corner.

The hosts could have taken the lead on the stroke of half time, but Benji Kimpioka’s deflected shot was tipped over by Paul Woolston.

Newcastle came close to retaking the lead on 55 minutes when Luke Charman was played in, but his shot was blocked by Josh Robson.

Gooch fired Sunderland into the lead from close range in the 67th minute after Newcastle failed to deal with a Connor Shields cross.

Victor Fernandez thought he had fired Newcastle level in the 75th minute, beating Max Stryjek from a tight angle, but the winger had been flagged offside.

But the visitors did level with seconds left to play with Roberts curling a freekick past Stryjek to send the tie to extra time.

Newcastle made a bright start to the first period of extra time and were awarded a penalty after 37 seconds. Roberts stepped up to take it, but Stryjek got down well to keep it out.

Newcastle continued to edge the game in extra time and with 10 minutes to play hit the woodwork twice in the space of a minute, with Owen Gallacher hitting the post before Good struck the bar.

The sides couldn’t be split after 120 minutes and so the game went to penalties. After 12 penalties each Newcastle won 11-10 to bag a place in the semi-final.

Sunderland XI: Max Stryjek; Joshua Robson, Denver Hume, Elliot Embleton, Brandon Taylor (Alex Storey 45’), Brendan Galloway, Luke Molyneux, Jake Hackett, Connor Shields (Jack Diamond 68’), Lynden Gooch (Owen Gamble 84’), Benji Kimpioka

Unused subs: James Talbot, Lee Connelly, Williams Kokolo, Bali Mumba

Newcastle XI: Paul Woolston; Craig Spooner (Yasin Ben El-Mhanni 82’), Josef Yarney, Curtis Good, Michael Newberry, Jack Hunter, Victor Fernandez, Mo Sangare, Luke Charman, Mackenzie Heaney (Owen Gallacher 72’), Callum Roberts (Callum Smith 104’)

Unused subs: Stefan O’Connor, Otto Huuhtanen, Ben Kitchen, Tyrique Bartlett