James Lone’s heroic performance in goal booked Boldon CA’s place in the last four of the Monkwearmouth Cup in a cagey cup tie which was decided on penalties after the game with Richmond Town ended 2-2 after extra time.

Michael Martin fired the hosts in front after 60 minutes when he was on hand to tuck away a poorly cleared corner. Mark Sims leveled the score line moments later after Boldon themselves were guilty of poor defending.


James Pickering connected onto Joshua Houghton’s cross to put Boldon back in front. Sims equalized immediately afterwards to take the match to extra time before Lone stole the show with two penalty saves in the shoot-out to send Boldon through with a 4-2 win on penalties.

In form Boldon were under pressure immediately from the whistle as Richmond went searching for the opening goal. Anthony Harrison wasted two chances as he looked to beat James Lone at his near post.

In a cagey first half, neither side was willing to over commit in fear of conceding the opening goal.

On 26 minutes Pickering thought he had put Boldon one step closer to the last four only for his volley to be controversially ruled offside.

The match was brought to life in the second half as both sides started to open out in their attacks and Boldon manager Paul Mossa brought on Shaun Graham to add more height to his side.

Mossa’s decision paid off as CA took the lead after 60 minutes when Richmond failed to clear their lines from Boldon’s corner. Graham’s powerful header smashed off the crossbar and Martin was on point to strike the rebound at goal.

Boldon’s lead was short lived though as they were punished themselves for not clearing a corner. Sims got the final touch on a goal mouth scramble which left Boldon scratching their heads.

Referee Craig Chatten awarded Richmond a penalty when Sims was dragged down by defender Aaron Williams, however the striker was unable to convert from the spot as Lone was able to get down fast enough to palm away the effort.

The momentum was with the hosts and on 73 minutes Pickering finally got his goal when Joshua Houghton’s low cross was volleyed across goal to beat goalkeeper Adam Cunningham and give Boldon the lead again.

Boldon’s defense was once again caught napping straight after taking the lead and Sims found the space between CA’s centre backs to equalise and force extra time at the Boldon Vila.

Neither side could force an opening during extra time and fatigue took over as the match went to penalties.

Lone was the hero during the shootout as he kept out both Michael Layford and Scott Ryan to send the CA to the semi final.

Boldon’s will face Stockton Town in the semi final.



You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Leave a Comment