University of Sunderland Women battled through the cold and wet conditions to secure a victory over Newcastle who led for most of the game.

The game started evenly with both teams struggled to get a foothold in the game. The earliest chance came for Sunderland as the ball dropped to the edge of the box to a Sunderland midfielder who was able to get a shot off, unfortunately putting it just wide of the post.

As the game continued it was Newcastle who were looking the more threatening with their best chance of the half coming from a through ball that was latched onto by no 7 who unselfishly tried to make one more pass which was deflected towards goal narrowly brushing past the post.

Sunderland responded well to the spell of pressure applied by the Newcastle side and produced their best chance of the half when a ball down the line was pulled back to the middle of the box perfect for the oncoming run of no 15 who forced a good stop from the Newcastle goalkeeper.

Newcastle were the side that opened the scoring from a corner after Sunderland failed to clear resulting in it falling to the Newcastle no 10 around eight yards out who rifled it past the goalkeeper for the home side.

It was a gritty second half and this continued for much of the opening period of the second half where no side produced any clear cut opportunities.

This all changed with Sunderland producing their best bit of play the whole game as no 13 produced an excellent pass on the turn to fellow stiker no 9 who fired it into the far corner past the goalkeeper.

With the momentum gained from getting back in the game it was Sunderland who were looking the more likely to score and this was proven when a long ball over the top found the Sunderland striker in acres of space who shot from the edge of the box forcing the Newcastle goalkeeper into a save not but no 13 for Sunderland was there for the rebound making it 2-1 to the visitng side.

The game was seen out relatively comfortably for Sunderland where the only bit of action saw a Sunderland shot hit the bar before bouncing on the line, despite Sunderland’s claims the referee deemed it did not cross the line.