Sunderland RCA have been knocked out of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup at home to Stockton Town.

After losing 4-2 to Stockton only two days ago in the league, it was a freak own-goal just past the half hour mark from Ross McNab that secured a double defeat for RCA.

RCA manager Martin Swales made a host of changes for the cup clash, bringing in Clayton Davis, Greg Swansbury, Luke Page and McNab to try counter the Stockton threat.

It was the home side out of the traps quickest from the kick-off with RCA having three decent attempts in the opening exchanges.

Clayton Davis fired towards goal from close range in the 12th minute, Moody made a superb save to keep the ball out, and a series of rebounded shots somehow made no mark on the scoreline for RCA.

Max Craggs almost had the visitors ahead in the 18th minute after a quiet spell in the game, skipping past at least three defenders and getting a weak shot away after losing his footing in the box.

Elliot then tried his chances from 30 yards after 25 minutes with a rocket towards goal, but it drifted just over the bar.

Stockton took the lead in the 32nd minute. Craggs’ free kick was whipped in at speed towards the near post, and bounced off McNab’s standing ankle and past Dimitrios Tsapalos before either knew much about it.

The visitors almost had a second eight minutes after their first after James Risborough found himself one-on-one with the ‘keeper, but Tsapalos was on hand to block the eventual shot.

After the restart, Luke Page managed to break through until he was one-on-one with the ‘keeper, but Moody somehow managed to block the shot from point-blank range and push it clear.

RCA, to their credit, tried every trick in the book to equalise. Page, Kyle Davis, and McNab linked up with long balls to try break the Stockton defence, but the visitors held firm.

Stockton are now through to round four of the League Cup, with Sunderland RCA back in league action in the Ryhope derby (vs. Ryhope CW) on December 15.