A closely fought victory for St John’s University despite a dominant scoreline in the ‘Clash of The Minsters’.

Team Sunderland suffered an unfortunate 1-5 defeat in their first game of the year. It was a particularly scrappy match as the scoreline flatters York. However, St Johns got off to a flyer after taking the advantage going 0-1 up after only three minutes of play. A neat low finish across the goal which was taken very well.

In the 12th minute of the game York had a chance that was superbly blocked by Sunderland’s number 35, taking a hit in the process, keeping the score at 0-1.

Six minutes later, York were 0-2 ahead after a rebound from a tremendous save from the stand-in Sunderland keeper. The strike was in the middle of the goal and the keeper was unlucky not to get a stronger hand to the ball.

However, in the final minute of the first half, York take a 0-3 lead through an excellent low through ball, through a gap in the Sunderland defence and St Johns no. 10 slotted it in the far post with a delicate finish.

The second half kicked off and immediately Sunderland wanted to keep hold of possession and had a good string of attacks, drew out fouls from St Johns and saw a free kick just over the bar.

St Johns took a counter-attacking style of play and after a solid 15 minutes from Sunderland, the game quickly became an end to end match as space started to open for both teams.

Just after the hour mark, Sunderland had a lovely first-time effort saved from the St Johns keeper and went out for a corner. The corner resulted in a header going narrowly wide for Team Sunderland.

In the 71st minute, York continued to counter Sunderland’s attacks and hit the woodwork following a save from the Sunderland keeper. However, as the Sunderland team started to tire, St Johns counter attacking paid off and increased the lead to 0-4 after a loose ball and poor marking, the ball fell to a St Johns player and struck the ball across goal, the Sunderland keeper was unlucky not to get a hand on it.

As the end of the match was looming, Sunderland started to throw everything forward to get a deserved goal. This left them wide open at the back and saw another counter attack finished neatly from York’s, No 11.

However, in the 86th minute, a penalty was awarded to Sunderland as a ball was crossed into the box and a St Johns defender was penalised for shoving in the box.

This could have been Sunderland’s only chance of a goal and it was missed after a save from the St Johns keeper.

As the game ended, Sunderland’s efforts finally paid off from a corner, a floated cross found the head of the Sunderland no. 37 and was placed into the top left corner to make the final score, Sunderland University 1-5 York St John’s University.