Veteran Paul Brayson was the star of the show as Newcastle Benfield knocked out 1874 Northwich, who reached the semi-finals of the competition last season.

A tight, scrappy first half in which the teams made 11 fouls between them meant they went into half time without a goal either way.

Just under 15 minutes into the second period Paul Brayson headed in the first goal of the game.

Scott McCarthy added a second from a corner, heading in from close range to all but end the tie.

The two sides, who came into the game in comfortable mid-table positions in their respective leagues, shared chances in the opening 45 minutes but neither squad were able to break the deadlock.

Taylor Kennerley’s long run from his own half ended with the winger firing a low shot at Andrew Grainger.

It wasn’t long before Benfield got in on the act and Paul Brayson fired over from a matter of yards out from Jake Orrell’s free kick on the left.

The Tyneside striker is no stranger to the Cheshire town, having played for Northwich Victoria as part of his long career.

He missed again later in the first half. His header flew over following a cross from Dean Holmes after good work from Dennis Knight.

With just five minutes remaining in the first period, 1874’s Jack Irlam did well to glide through the Benfield defence, only for his weak shot to be gathered easily by Grainger.

Although it was Brayson’s Newcastle who created the better chances of the half, they couldn’t hit the target as the sides entered the half time interval.

With Brayson showing off his attacking ability, it was only a matter of time before the 41-year-old found the back of the net.

In the 59th minute, he was left unmarked in the box to head home a cross from Holmes on the left wing, looping his effort away from James Coates.

Their second was also put in by the scorer’s forehead. Jake Orrell’s corner from the right landed perfectly onto the forehead of Scott McCarthy who nodded in.

The second really allowed Benfield to dominate the game. Brayson was unlucky to get a second with a powerful free kick.

The hosts were happy to play out the rest of the game, meaning they go into the draw for the next round.

NEWCASTLE BENFIELD: 4-4-2 Grainger; Evans, Turnbull, Robson, Martin; Slaughter, Orrell, Holmes, Knight (Scott, 88); McCarthy (Pearson, 75), Brayson

Subs not used: Heaney, Novak, Pell

1874 NORTHWICH: 4-2-3-1 Coates; Connor (Tucker, 57)), Pritchard, Jones, Russell; Irlam, Woolley; Gardner (Waite-Jackson, 72), Hare, Kennerley; McGowan

Subs not used: Weir, Preston, Rigby