Easington rediscovered their football from earlier in the season.

Easington Colliery claimed only a second win of 2017 with a fine 2-0 win at Durham City on Saturday afternoon.

With a few tactical changes, goals from Jack Pounder and David Paul proved pivotal as the Colliers claimed a big three points.

A fine performance could have resulted in a much higher scoreline, but the Colliers were more than happy to win 2-0.

Manager Paul Frame made three changes from last week’s defeat to Bedlington Terriers with University of Sunderland student Ethan Anderson replacing Kyle Donaldson in goal while Peter Jones and Aaron Croft came in for Callum Hope and Chris Freeman.

Freeman was meant to start but pulled up in the warm up and Croft took his place.

Liam Adamson and Jake Fenton covered the wings with Pounder and Paul leading the line.

Despite a bright start for Easington, it was Durham who created the first chance as James Wood curled a free-kick harmlessly over the crossbar.

A moment of controversy was soon to follow. Easington had to give the ball back to Durham and Paul lifted a high kick back towards the keeper. It bounced back off the crossbar and hit the goalkeepers hands before bouncing into the net. However, the referee disallowed the goal.

Reece Kenney, Aidan Goodey and Paul all had half chances as the Green Army mounted pressure on the Citizens who were struggling to handle a lively Easington side.

In the 24th minute, Adamson could have fired the visitors into the lead. Paul’s perfectly timed through ball played the 17-year-old in but his effort was saved by the legs of Dean Caris.

The Green Army kept plugging away and both Kenney and Jones both had efforts from long-range which had Caris worried but failed to find the target.

Fine one touch football from the Colliers saw Jake Fenton flick the ball onto Kenney and his through ball found Pounder whose first-time half-volley dipped narrowly over.

Despite still being level, Easington were looking very positive and a totally different side to last week. In the 41st minute, Paul was played in but his effort was saved.

However, Easington wouldn’t be left to rue missed chances and Pounder fired them into a lead just before the break.

Playing against his former club, Pounder was played in before firing a fine effort into the far corner to the delight of the away support.

The Colliers went into the break with a deserved lead and a matching second half would secure a bit three points.

Looking to build on their lead, Easington came out in determined style and eight minutes in, Kenney took responsibility for a free-kick but his driven effort was saved by Caris.

Huge shouts for a penalty for the Green Army were turned down soon after as Fenton was climbed upon in the penalty area but the referee waved away the appeals and Fenton had to come off with a groin injury.

Further chances came through Paul, Adamson and substitute Josh Lincoln before the Colliers doubled their lead in the 64th minute. Goodey whipped a fine ball into the penalty area where Paul was able to flick home for his first goal since returning to the club.

It was much like the start of the season for Easington where free-flowing football was being rewarded and the Colliers could have added a third in the 73rd minute when Michael Bulmer linked up to play Pounder in but he was ruled offside.

Lincoln – making his second appearance as a substitute – jived his way through the Durham defence in the 77th minute before hs eventual effort was fired narrowly wide.

Pounder then had an effort cleared off the line before another strike from the goalscorer was saved by Caris.

Further late chances came for the Colliers including a fine effort from Bulmer crashing back off the crossbar but it wouldn’t matter as the Colliers claimed an impressive three points.

Easington will be hoping this victory is the start of another good run and will be looking to build on it at home to Alnwick Town next week.

Full-time: Durham City 0-2 Easington Colliery

Durham City: Caris, Simpson, Thompson (c), Smith, Harnett (Potts, 46′), Crathorne (Malloy, 56′), Salicki, Hennis, Hird, Allen, Wood (O’Reilly, 64′)

Unused subs: Knowd, Wilkie

Easington Colliery: Anderson, Croft, Jones, Ball, Goodey, Kenney (c), Fenton (Lincoln, 57′), Page, Paul (Bulmer, 70′), Pounder (Pearson, 90+2′), Adamson

Unused sub: Donaldson