Sunderland RCASeaham Red Star ended their season in empathic fashion with a 6-4 win over neighbours Sunderland RCA.

The visitors were able to take the lead early in the 4th minute through Reece Noble but RCA gave away a penalty shortly after in the 11th minute after a foul on Craig Lynch allowed Liam McBryde to convert.

McBryde then grabbed his second on 20 minutes before Robbie Bird gave Red Star a 3-1 lead just before the break.

Bird then scored again on 59 minutes to surely put the game to bed but unbelievably RCA scored three goals in 10 minutes. Goals from Stephen Callen, Colin Larkin and Michael Charlton helped level the scores.

However, in a massive twist, Darren Reay went right up the other end and slotted in to give Seaham the lead yet again before a Lee Kerr free kick wrapped up the game and Red Star’s season.

There was a slice of luck in RCA’s second and third goal. Unfortunately for Newbrook, who has been fantastic this season, he had one to forget when he dropped the ball into the path of Callen and then Larkin’s cross hit the inside of the post before hitting off the number one to go into the back of the net.

RCA were able to record a 2-0 victory when the two sides met earlier in the season and it looked like they would mount a challenge to complete the double when they raced into an early lead with help from Dan Kirkup and Darryll Donnelly. The pair lacked communication in the build up to the goal where Noble slotted into the bottom right hand corner from 19 yards out.

However, with the form Red Star have shown since the turn of the year, a quick response was no surprise to the home fans when McBryde smashed home his penalty as Lynch was pulled down in the box.

After the Red Star equaliser, RCA did have two stand out chances to equalise. Four minutes later, Kevin Gordon missed a sitter at the back post after Larkin found Jonathan Wightman smartly to cross, but Gordon flashed his shot wide. Then on the 18th minute Jack Walker had to flick the ball away from the looming attacker after Larkin was involved again.

But when Seaham took the lead, there was no looking back for the hosts in the first half. Luke Richardson failed to cut out the pass to Bird where the winger ran the channel to find McBryde, who finished well into the bottom left hand corner.

Red Star continued to put pressure on the RCA defence, this was evident when Donnelly won the ball on the edge of his own box to send The Star on the attack only for the attack to see a shot hit wide.

RCA could only get shots at the Seaham goal from range before an off balanced Larkin hit a shot straight at Newbrook from close range on 41 minutes before Bird nipped in for a Red Star third on 43 minutes.

The away side had an early second half chance to grab one back but Wightman scuffed his shot.

Apart from the early RCA chance, the away team struggled to make any impact in the opening first half stages which was summed up when Richardson failed to make a two-yard pass causing frustration in the RCA ranks.

And their frustration wasn’t helped as four minutes later awful defending from Sunderland RCA allowed Lynch to sneak in who unselfishly set up Bird for his second and Red Star’s fourth just before the hour mark.

But five minutes later RCA started the come back. Newbrook failed to gather the ball from a cross and Callen was on hold to tap in. Then four minutes later on 69 minutes, Newbrook again was involved but this time he was helpless when Larkin’s cross came off the inside of the post before hitting Newbrook’s back and crossing the line for 4-3.

The ultimate comeback looked to be complete on 75 minutes when Chartlon hammered home the equaliser, but RCA shut off allowing The Star to launch an instant attack, where Reay finished off the move for a 5-4 lead.

Liam Hatch was booked for bringing down Bird outside the box and Kerr took the resulting free kick where he caught keeper Michael Woud off guard to fire the ball into his near post to give Seaham a two goal cushion.

Glen Lane came closest in the later stages for RCA, but The Star in the end shut out their neighbours to take the win 6-4 in a remarkable last game of the season.