Seaham put on a dominant second half display.

Seaham put on a dominant second half display.

Robbie Bird scored a second half hat-trick for Seaham Red Star in a 4-0 against Guisborough Town on Saturday.

Luke Proctor opened the scoring for Seaham 75 minutes in and the lead was doubled through Bird eight minutes later.

And Bird scored another two, completing his second half 10 minute hat-trick for The Star.

This result means Red Star move up to eighth, while Guisborough stay 20th in the Northern League table.

The match started scrappily with a few bad challenges from both teams. Three yellow cards were handed out by the referee in the first 20 minutes to Paul Blake and Gary Wood of the visitors and Bradley Staunch for The Star.

Half chances dominated the first half as both teams struggled to carve out an opener. The visitors came closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half as Red Star keeper Shaun Newbrook made two fine saves 25 minutes in.

Guisborough came out flying in the second half, hitting the post from a few yards out after the ball was whipped across the box. This let off must have encouraged Red Star to perform better with Lynch seeing his effort cleared off the line minutes later – two defenders were on the line after the keeper failed to retrieve the ball.

Eventually the deadlock was broken through Seaham’s Proctor 75 minutes in. Craig Lynch waltzed his way through several defenders on the edge of the box and his shot was tapped in by Proctor.

Bird scored his first of three in the 83rd minute for The Star, finishing off a cross from the right wing with a shot into the bottom corner past Guisborough’s keeper Jordan Nixon.

Soon after, Lynch played a looping ball over the defence for Bird to run onto for his second and The Star’s third of the afternoon. The winger finished clinically past Nixon, who was way off his line trying to retrieve Lynch’s pass.

Bird completed his hat-trick with a tap in after a powerful run by midfielder Nicky Kane, who set him up in added time.

Seaham’s next game is another home game to Marske United on 28 January at the Ferguson Motor Repair Stadium.