A depleted Silksworth CC seconds fell to defeat against cross-city rivals Ryhope despite posting a strong 194 on a batting friendly pitch.

Ian Laverick and Paul Baldasera both dropped short of half centuries for Silksworth, with Glen Davison and Kumar scoring good knocks of 24 and 26. Ryhope’s Graham Pickering took four wickets, with Alex Catcherside scoring 81 and Jake Liddle 78 not out.

Silksworth went into this fixture with confidence after beating Peterlee last time out. Captain Anthony Bell was unable to play the game and Malcolm Thompson was called into the first team, leaving Silksworth with just ten men going into what was a big game.

Vice-captain of Silksworth Paul Dixon lost the toss and his side were put into bat. Paul Ellerington, a man who has improved massively in the batting department, and Glen Davison, a regular opener, both opened Silksworth’s innings. Both men followed their captain’s instructions and stuck around for a while, before Ellerington was bowled for eight and Davison was trapped LBW for 24.

In came the experienced Laverick at number three and instantly showed Ryhope’s fielders his intentions, scoring a quick fire 20 from just eight balls. Alongside Laverick was ex-first team batsman Andy Raine, but he failed to score anything and was bowled for a duck. Laverick was eventually bowled for 46 and in came Dixon and Baldasera.

Dixon played some lovely cultured cover drives over the top of long mid on and Baldasera showed no lack of experience in his first season, hitting boundaries continuously. Pickering eventually got both men, starting his mission to tear into Silksworth’s tail enders.

By this point in the innings Silksworth had surpassed 150 and skipper for the day Paul Dixon saw the score as one his men could defend. Kumar hit 26 in quick fashion before being bowled by Pickering. Stuart Middlemiss was run out and Aidan Young was caught at long off with David Nunn given no chance to even face a ball.

Both sides went into tea with different outlooks. Silksworth had scored 194 and were happy with their total, especially having ten men, albeit on a batting friendly wicket. Ryhope would feel disappointed by tea, having backed themselves to make quick work of their local rivals.

Tea finished and it was time for Silksworth to back their batting performance up with the new ball. Pace bowlers Laverick and Kumar opened the bowling and Laverick took the early wicket of Matthew Kirtley, who was a real threat for Silksworth prior to the game. Kirtley failed to leave the ball that was going down his legs and nicked one into the gloves of wicketkeeper Davison.

However, with Laverick’s overs finished it was time for him to depart the game and Silksworth were left with nine men. Nunn came on first change attempting to get some sort of spin out of the batting friendly track. Catcherside immediately opened the face of his bat and decided to attack Nunn’s spin bowling and scored a half century in quick style.

Liddle was in at three and also made use of the wicket, picking the gaps and scoring his half century within 15 overs. By this point Silksworth had gone flat in the field and knew their fate.

It became harder for the away side to sustain any pressure with just nine fielders. Ryhope needed only 20 runs to win but Catcherside was caught by Middlemiss and in came Ian Douglas. Liddle ended his teams Innings with 78 not out and Douglas scored the winning runs, finishing on 18.

Silksworth play Langley Park next Saturday back at their home ground for the first time this season and will be looking to put their mistakes right.