South Shields celebrate winning the Buildbase FA Vase Final. Photo by Simon Cooper/PA Wire

South Shields wrapped up a dream season by beating Cleethorpes Town 4-0 to win the FA Vase at Wembley. 

Carl Finnigan’s penalty in the 43rd minute put Shields into a deserved lead after Gavin Cogdon was fouled by Tim Lowe. 

Three goals in the final ten minutes sealed the win for the Mariners, as Dillon Morse headed in from close range before David Foley registered a brace in front of thousands of travelling fans.

In their domestic competitions, both teams finished at the top but South Shields came into the match as overwhelming favourites.

It was the Mariners who started the game brightly, with pressure coming from an Andrew Stephenson header which caused mayhem in the box before Finnigan had a shot saved by Town keeper Liam Higton.

Cleethorpes were unable to get a foothold in the game but centre-midfielder Liam Davis certainly had no trouble introducing himself with a couple of strong tackles and a booking.

It took until the 25th minute for Shields keeper Liam Connell’s first action of note as he saved from Brody Robertson’s low effort.

Gavin Cogdon was giving opposite number Tim Lowe a hard time with some mazy runs and, after a number of blocked shots and neat crosses, the forward finally got his reward by winning a penalty.

Finnigan stepped up and sent Higton the wrong way as the boisterous Shields following erupted.

Cogdon almost doubled his sides advantage with a powerful effort which was parried on to the bar by Higton.

The Cleethorpes stopper had to be alert in the opening stages of the second half as he did superbly to push Foley’s shot on to the woodwork before he denied Cogdon moments later.

South Shields were given a warning by their opponents in the 53rd minute as Town forward Robertson fashioned a great opportunity but for Alex Nicholson’s last-ditch tackle.

With ten minutes of normal time remaining, substitute Robert Briggs found Morse with a great free-kick and the defender headed past Higton.

The North East club, in particular Foley, then rubbed salt into the wounds of Cleethorpes with a quick-fire brace.

The third goal was a cool finish after being played in by Michael Richardson before the forward fired past Higton from 20 yards to cap off a superb afternoon.