Goals either side of half-time meant South Shields lifted the Durham Challenge Cup with a 2-0 victory over Billingham Synthonia at Hartlepool United on Wednesday night.

Andrew Stephenson fired South Shields into a 40th minute lead and David Foley doubled Shields’ advantage two minutes into the second half.

Shields had plenty of chances to add further comfort to their victory but two goals were enough come full-time.

Shields, missing the suspended Julio Arca, named a starting XI which included David Foley, Gavin Cogdon and Wayne Phillips. Synthonia, on the other hand, named a line-up which included the dangerous Macaulay Langstaff.

In a fast-paced start, it was South Shields who created the first chance when Robert Briggs collected possession on the edge of the penalty area but he could only curl wide.

The skilful Langstaff beat his marker to find room for a shot for Synthonia but the man who will be at Gateshead next season was prevented by Darren Lough’s block.

As South Shields began to take control, fine work from Stephenson saw the Spennymoor Town man beat two defenders before dinking a cross into the penalty area but it was slightly too deep for Cogdon.

Foley dragged wide for the Mariners in the 25th minute while Synthonia’s Jack McLaren was forced into a fine save to prevent Briggs’ deflected effort soon after.

Cogdon could have fired Shields into a 37th minute lead when one-on-one after a fine Stephenson through ball but the former Spennymoor Town man was unable to keep his effort down. the same man went close again a minute later but this time, McLaren saved.

Another glorious chance fell the way of Cogdon two minutes later but McLaren saved.

However, the Mariners weren’t to rue on missed chances as Stephenson fired them into the lead five minutes before the break. Phillips’ driven effort was cleared as far as Stephenson and his low effort found the bottom corner.

Michael Richardson went close as the first half came to an end and the South Tynesiders went into the break with a deserved lead.

Shields’ lead was doubled less than two minutes into the second half when Foley tapped home after Richardson had miscued an original effort.

It was almost three when Richardson cut in from the right but the former Blyth Spartans man couldn’t find the target.

Further chances fell the way of Stephenson and Richardson with the Mariners well in control.

The 2,000-strong South Shields crowd were in fine voice as the second half wore on with their side totally dominant on the pitch.

Despite little success, Synners were working hard and limiting Shields to as little as possible.

Substitute Carl Finnigan could have made it three in the 77th minute but McLaren saved well and Foley was unable to convert the rebound.

Long-range efforts from Briggs and Stephenson failed to trouble McLaren but it counted for little as South Shields claimed their second trophy of the season with potentially two more to follow.

Full-time: Billingham Synthonia 0-2 South Shields

Billingham Synthonia: McLaren, Huggins, Robinson, Seaton (Wilson, 70′), Rowbotham, Crust, Langstaff, Johnston, Steel (Winter, 62′), Mulligan, Peacock (c) (Hillerby, 78′)

Unused sub: Grier

South Shields: Connell, Nicholson, Callaghan, Briggs, Shaw (c), Lough, Stephenson (Smith, 69′), Phillips (Holden, 80′), Cogdon (Finnigan, 62′), Richardson, Foley

Unused sub: Storey