Lewis Dodds’ goal in the last minute of extra-time sent West Auckland into the FA Vase 5th round at the expense of Sunderland RCA.

The game headed into extra-time goalless with both sides playing cautiously and struggling to create genuine opportunities.

Alex Francis should have given West Auckland a 13th minute lead when he was played through by Amar Purewal, but Scott Pocklington got down well to save his one-on-one effort.

West looked the most dangerous, sending in multiple crosses towards the back post that RCA managed to clear.

RCA started to get back into it and Michael Charlton was played through by Nathan O’Neill, hitting the post with his first effort and Shane Bland recovered well to save his second.

Thomas Price’s high cross from the left in the 36th minute almost dropped into the goal, forcing Pocklington to tip the ball away.

A Ross McNab free-kick in the 52nd minute resulted in a goalmouth scramble, Ross Preston turning the ball just wide.

Francis worked space to shoot from the edge of the box in the 62nd minute, his effort was on target for the left corner but weak enough for Pocklington to get down to it.

The first-half lacked in genuine chances, but the second-half was even worse.

RCA started to push forward around the 74th minute, getting crosses into the box. A cross was half-cleared as far as Dom Moan who volleyed wide from inside the box.

The fans will have hoped that with tired legs the game might be more stretched in extra-time allowing for some dangerous attacks.

West started extra-time well, it took a great Greg Swansbury block to stop Adam Burnicle scoring in the 95th minute.

Burnicle looked dangerous early in extra-time and worked space for a close-range shot from the left side of the box, firing just over the right corner.

The game was still restricted mostly to half-chances, West looked the more dangerous but neither side really looked like scoring.

However, West Auckland did just as we were about to enter added time in extra-time.

Dodds got on the end of a squared ball that RCA failed to clear in the 120th minute to tap in from inside the six-yard box and win the game having only been on the pitch for 7 minutes.