Dylan Elliott’s sublime 50th minute strike was enough to see Sunderland RCA edge out Whitley Bay by the odd goal in five on Tuesday night.

Dom Moan put RCA ahead in the seventh minute, but Whitley Bay equalised through Jack Foalle five minutes later.

Callum Anderson put Whitley Bay ahead in the 28th minute, only for Nathan O’Neill to pull RCA level on the stroke of half-time.

Elliott’s strike early in the second half proved to be the difference, and a 97th-minute red card for Ben Richardson didn’t help Whitley Bay’s cause.

Moan’s opener proved to be the first real chance. A clever through ball played Michael Charlton in and he bared down on goal. Chris Bannon rushed off his line to deny Charlton, but Moan was there to head home the rebound.

With 11 minutes played, Whitley Bay’s first real chance saw them pull level. Having snatched possession from RCA in a dangerous position, Foalle drove through on goal before finishing well to level the scoreline.

On the quarter of an hour mark, a clever ball over the top from RCA gave O’Neill a chase. The former Ryhope CW man latched onto it, but his first time half volley could only find the side-netting.

O’Neill fired another effort over the top in the 20th minute, before Olly Martin failed to find the target at the other end.

Although entertaining, the game was scrappy in spells.

In the 28th minute, Whitley Bay took the lead. An inswinging corner wasn’t fully dealt with by Dimitrios Tsapalos, and it dropped to Anderson on the penalty spot who rifled a volley into the bottom corner.

Just before the half-hour mark, Martin connected sweetly with a strike from the edge of the penalty area for the visitors, but strong hands from Tsapalos palmed it to safety.

What looked a certain penalty as Foalle was brought down in the penalty area was waved away soon after, and Peter Glen-Ravenhill blazed narrowly wide from the resulting corner.

Craig McFarlane was denied by Tsapalos in the 37th minute, before Moan’s effort at the other end was blocked.

A good save from Bannon prevented an RCA effort in the 45th minute, but RCA were to pull level on the stroke of half-time. Moan put it on a tee for O’Neill, and his well-placed effort found the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Elliott’s wonder strike was the first chance of the second half. A high ball kindly dropped his way, and the former Hartlepool United man unleashed a first-time volley that was moving away from the ‘keeper before finding the top corner.

Elliott went close again with another impressive effort four minutes later. This time, he curled a free-kick over the wall but Bannon managed to claw it to safety.

Foalle glanced a header wide as Whitley Bay looked a response before O’Neill scooped a close-range effort over at the other end.

Whitley skipper Glen-Ravenhill tried his luck from long-range halfway through the second half, but it was a comfortable take for Tsapalos.

Charlton had plenty of room to get a shot away for the hosts in the 70th minute, but he was unable to find the target.

McFarlane and Richardson both then went close as Whitley Bay looked for an equaliser, but McFarlane’s effort was saved while Richardson couldn’t find the target.

Richardson had another good chance in the 77th minute but he could only steer an effort wide.

In the fifth minute of injury time, RCA should have wrapped the game up. It was a three on one opportunity that ended up being a wasted chance for RCA in the end.

To conclude a miserable night for Whitley Bay, Richardson was sent off in the seventh minute of added time for a reaction.

After eight minutes of additional time, the referee had seen enough and the three points lifts RCA to third in Northern League Division One.

Full-time: Sunderland RCA 3-2 Whitley Bay

Sunderland RCA: Tsapalos, Jury (Larkin, 72′), Preston, Swansbury, McNab, Charlton, Elliott, Hodgson, Clayton Davis (Armstrong, 78′), O’Neill, Moan (Davison, 72′)

Unused subs: Kokoska, Kyle Davis

Whitley Bay: Bannon, Redford (Brannen, 81′), Salmon, Anderson, Caines (Ramsey, 85′), Hassan, McFarlane, Glen-Ravenhill (c), Martin, Foalle, Carr (Richardson, 65’)

Unused subs: Gillesphey, Walton