RCA goal scorer Liam McBryde flicks the ball forward during the first half of the match at Penrith. Photograph: Simon Mears.

RCA goal scorer Liam McBryde flicks the ball forward during the first half of the match at Penrith. Photograph: Simon Mears.

Sunderland RCA returned to the Northern League Division with a bang as Liam McBryde earned the visitors all three points on Saturday.

RCA went into half-time as a Penrith own goal broke the deadlock early on in the game. Michael Charlton whipped a cross into the penalty area after playing a beautiful one-two with Colin Larkin which deflected off the Penrith defender and into the back off the net.

McBryde then sealed the win after winger Larkin made a smart run down the right to swing a cross towards McBryde in the box who neatly headed the ball into the top corner.

After Sunderland RCA’s victory against Dunston in the FA Vase cup, coach Gary Errington made five changes including goalscorer McBryde getting a place in the starting 11.

RCA started the game brightly as a free kick inside Penrith’s was looped into the box from James Armstrong and Adam McGuinness jumped the highest to head the ball but the Penrith defence quickly cleared the danger.

Sunderland RCA were yet again on the attack shortly after as Larkin ran down the right wing to send a cross towards Kevin Gordon who narrowly missed.

Penrith could not catch a break as RCA kept on looking the open the scoring and they did not have to wait long when a deflection that caught everyone trickled past the goalkeeper and over the line despite Penrith’s best effort to clear the ball.

The hosts looked for a response to going 1-0 down and had their first effort when Hebson swiftly ran down the left wing and cut inside only to find Carmichael in the way.

It wasn’t long until RCA were back on the front foot again as Luke Richardson was on the end of a half-hearted clearance from the Penrith defence and blasted a shot towards the goalkeeper from a tight angle.

The second goal looked as though it was about to come as a one-two between Charlton and McBryde was released to Gordon but could not pass Jamieson.

Penrith looked as though they had got their way back into the game Carmichael stretched to save a curling shot from striker Hebson whose effort was tapped over the bar to keep RCA ahead going into the interval.

After the break the game calmed down until the 53rd minute when McBryde dangerously struck across the goal begging for a tap in but RCA could not double their lead.

As the game was approaching its final minutes RCA needed to score again to secure the lead as Penrith were looking more of a threat. That moment of relief finally came when Larkin sprinted down the wing and put in a dangerous cross that McBryde was waiting for in the box and headed the ball in to the corner of the net to secure all three points.

Penrith did not give up though as in the final few minutes McGuinness had to clear off the line after Coleman cut in from the right wing, however, RCA managed to keep their first clean sheet of the season and the final whistle blew.

Next up for Sunderland RCA is a home fixture against Whitley Bay on Saturday 17 December.