Sunderland RCA were aiming for a place in the quarter-finals, but fell short.

Sunderland RCA were aiming for a place in the semi-finals, but fell short.

Marske United are into the last four of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup following a 4-2 win at Sunderland RCA on Tuesday night.

Peter Bulmer fired Marske into an 18th minute lead but John Butler equalised for the hosts just after the break.

Danny Earl restored the visitors lead soon after and it was three when Curtis Round fired home.

A scare came for the visitors when Jonny Davis half the deficit but Ashley Coffey sealed the win six minutes from time to send Marske United into the semi-finals.

Sunderland RCA manager Martin Swailes made three changes from Saturday’s defeat at Ashington with Butler, Kevin Gordon and Nathan Cummings coming in for Luke Richardson, Liam McBryde and Reece Noble.

In a full-blooded start, it was Sunderland RCA who created the first chance as the lively Michael Charlton was fouled on the edge of the penalty area. Adam McGuinness took responsibility and fired a low effort but it couldn’t trouble Robert Dean.

Round weaved a way through for the visitors ten minutes in, but his effort was blocked and trickled through to Joss Carmichael.

But in the 18th minute, the Seasiders broke the deadlock through Peter Bulmer. Coffey burst down the wing before sending a ball into the back post to find Bulmer, who shrugged off his man before squeezing the ball into the bottom corner from a tight angle.

Looking to punish the hosts further, Craig Gott took responsibility of a 25-yard free-kick but the former Spennymoor Town man could only curl into the side-netting.

Route one football could have seen Marske double their lead in the 32nd minute when Matthew Bell’s long ball found Round, but Carmichael was quickly off his line to produce a fine save. Seconds later, at the other end, a deep RCA cross found James Cassidy but his header failed to find the target.

Butler did well to find room for a shot for Sunderland RCA in the 43rd minute but his effort was saved by Dean and the visitors went into the break with a deserved 1-0 lead.

A dangerous looking free-kick was awarded the way of Sunderland RCA only four minutes into the second period but Davis’ effort was crucially blocked by Andrew Ramsbottom.

However, only two minutes later, the Wearsiders did pull level. A defensive slip played the hosts in and Butler rounded the keeper before keeping his cool to restore parity.

The hosts were only level for a matter of 60 seconds though as Marske restored their lead through Earl. Bulmer whipped a cross into the penalty area which fell the way of Glen Butterworth and his effort deflected off Earl and nestled into the net to silence the home fans.

Six minutes later, Marske made it three. Carmichael was unable to collect a teasing cross and it fell to Curtis Round. The former Whitby Town man fired home to make Marske’s lead more comfortable at 3-1.

On the hour mark, Charlton tried his luck with an awkward volley for the hosts but his effort lacked power and was comfortable for Dean.

Ramsbottom could have sealed the result for the visitors when a scramble eventually fell his way but the former Northallerton Town man couldn’t keep his 10-yard effort down.

Further great chances fell the way of Butterworth and Coffey before Sunderland RCA halved the deficit 13 minutes from time. Butler rounded the committed keeper and held the ball up before laying off to Davis, whose composed finish pulled RCA to within one.

With their heads up, Sunderland RCA pushed for a leveller and chances for Butler and Luke Richardson both went begging before Marske United sealed the win in the 87th minute. A sharp break saw Earl break down the wing and his cross found Coffey who finished well to book Marske a spot in the last four of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup.


Full-time: Sunderland RCA 2-4 Marske United

Sunderland RCA: Carmichael, Gordon, McGuinness, Cummings (Richardson, 59′), Swansbury (c), Hodgson, Charlton, Cassidy (Wilson, 72′), Butler, Davis, Callen

Unused subs: Larkin, Stewart, Graydon

Marske United: Dean, Dinsdale, Bell, Butterworth, Ramsbottom, Wheatley (c), Bulmer (Kelly, 74’), Gott, Earl, Coffey, Round

Unused subs: Mulligan, Brockbank, Clark, McDonald

Attendance: 112

Referee: Graeme Hopper