Club captain Clayton Davis whips in a cross during last week's FA Vase victory against Stockton Town. Photograph: Simon Mears.

Club captain Clayton Davis whips in a cross during last week’s FA Vase victory against Stockton Town. Photograph: Simon Mears.

Sunderland RCA scored two late goals against Northallerton Town to secure themselves a place in the next round of the Brookes Mileson Memorial League Cup on Tuesday.

Substitute Colin Larkin put the hosts ahead as he slotted home a penalty after James Cassidy was fouled inside the box.

As the game was coming to an end, Northallerton were pushing men forward to try and score the equaliser but RCA broke on the counter attack, leaving John Butler to finish the game off.

RCA started the game brightly as the visitors scrambled the ball away from the goal line to stop the hosts taking an early lead.

Sunderland kept on pushing for the opener as Kieran Martin ran down the right wing to cross a looping ball into the box, but keeper James Briggs just tipped it over forward Liam McBryde.

Northallerton came back with an answer though as Elliot McGlade nearly sent Town into the lead. McGlade swiftly ran around keeper Josh Carmichael who collided with his defence, but the forward could only send the ball over the bar.

The hosts looked determined to get a goal before the interval and the best chance came to McBryde after Cassidy whipped a ball into the box from the right wing. However, McBryde could not get a good connection and it stayed equal going into half-time.

After the break RCA continued to look threatening as Butler came close after a clever through ball from Martin.

McBryde looked a menace throughout the match and came close again as he collected the ball from a Cassidy cross, but the Northallerton defence did well and blocked the forward’s shot for a corner.

The hosts kept on pushing forward and the pressure paid off as Cassidy went to shoot but was caught by the Northallerton defence conceding a penalty. Larkin then put RCA into the lead as he struck the ball into bottom left corner from the 12 yard spot.

As the game came towards the final whistle, Town became desperate. But it was Sunderland RCA who counter attacked, and Butler blasted his shot past Briggs who, despite his best efforts, could not push the ball wide of the goal.

After the game, coach Gary Errington commented: “Obviously the result’s important, we haven’t conceded in the game which is a good thing but the performance was very poor.

“I wasn’t happy at half time, we kept on turning possession over. Before the game we said keep the ball and make them work hard which we didn’t do.”

Despite admitting that Sunderland RCA played poorly, Errington still has high hopes for the rest of the Brookes Mileson Memorial League Cup.

“We have got into the next round, we want a run in the trophy”