Sunderland RFC comfortably overcame Sedgefield RUFC 34-17 in difficult conditions to clinch their second home win of the season.

Sedgefield drew first blood scoring a try under the posts after just nine minutes, however two quick fire penalties and a try from winger Ben Hodgson after 23 minutes saw Sunderland take control of the game.

From then Sunderland didn’t look back, despite Sedgefield scoring another 2 tries, the home side held their lead till the end adding another three tries and two penalties to the scoreboard.

The game started, on a very windy day at Ashbrooke, with lots of early mistakes and penalties from both sides, resulting in a very stop-start match to begin with.

Sedgefield started the game stronger, stringing some nice plays together which ended with the opening score of the game from the second row in under 10 minutes.

After 15 minutes, Sunderland started to really push, scoring two penalties from the big boot of number 11 Leon Ryan in the 19th and the 21st minute.

The Sunderland pressure continued, and with a series of lovely build-up play Ben Hodgson dived in at the corner after beating his man for pace on the outside to score their first try of the game.

Hodgson scored Sunderland’s 1st try of the game

More disciplinary errors from Sedgefield allowed Leon Ryan to yet again step up and slot two almost identical penalties five minutes apart against the wind from 42m just before the break.

Sunderland strolled into halftime with a 17 – 7 lead.

Both teams came out flying in the second half, but Sunderland showed great resistance on their own try line to keep the opposition out.

Despite the blistering wind, line-outs were perfectly executed throughout, with Sedgfield finally breaking Sunderland down and scoring a second try through their number 4 from a driving maul 48 minutes in.

Sunderland quickly matched this just two minutes later however, when forwards Chris Geehan crossed over from a driving lineout for Sunderland’s second, and five minutes later Pete Harrison did the same for their third.

Not long after, Ben Hodgson was once again threatening the away side’s defence, but was unfortunate to not score his second when he couldn’t quite ground the ball when diving for the line.

In the 60th minute, Sunderland captain Joe Arrowsmith walked off injured after suffering a dropped knee to his kidney, but was replaced by number 17 Dan Gray who proved to be excellent under the high ball.
Sedgefield however were a little shaky under the high ball, and Sunderland quickly looked to exploit this, which payed off after a ball was dropped and the home side were awarded yet another scrum 20 metres from the try line.

This led to Sunderland fly-half Marc Edmundson, who shone throughout the game, setting up outside centre Jack Hope with a crash ball in midfield to go under the posts in the 65th minute.

Sedgefield number 2 did score a consolation try near the end, intercepting a pass and showing impressive pace to run it in from his own 10m line.

Sunderland held out for the win, and in doing so vastly improve their points tally and edge closer to Ashington who sit in a place above them.