Sunderland RFC’s U7s remain undefeated this season after they played at Darlington on Sunday.

The games saw a fantastic debut from Oliver Ward with tries and great defence, while the ever improving Adam Ferguson showed great concentration scoring in attack and was also strong in defence.

Team stalwarts Aaron Mackie, Tom Lewis, Sam Oxberry, Jack Carroll and Charlie Redmond all scored and defended well but more importantly brought the younger players into the fold.

Meanwhile the Sunderland U8’s played two games and won both on Sunday. In the first game it was a very tight match up until the last few seconds where a breakaway try by Harry Hutcheon sealed the win. Great defending by Tom Ward and Kieran Richardson helped set up the try.

In the second match against Hartlepool Rovers, Alfie Rhodes and Kian Dunn lead the team with dynamic runs while Esther Morris put in a good all round display. Oliver Miller was also instrumental in the match throughout with great teamwork.

However it was defeat for Sunderland’s U13s, who were comprehensively outplayed at Ashbrooke by a dominant Blaydon. The youngsters lost 50-5, with a consolation try for prop David Matloch.

Sunderland’s Colts also played on Sunday against Houghton. A late try salvaged a draw for Sunderland’s Colts in Sunday’s local derby at Houghton.

The team visited Houghton in a merit league this Sunday in a closely fought, entertaining game. The visitors took the lead after 15 minutes when Matthew Weston finished off some good backs work to score in the right corner. But, Houghton came back strongly and finished the first half 12-5 ahead.
The second period of the game saw chances at both ends. It was the Ashbrooke outfit that scored next when Dean Edmundson chipped through and gathered his own kick to score under the posts. Joe Hodgson added the extras to level the scores.
The hosts were rewarded with another try out wide with just five minutes to play, as they continued to push hard. Steven Kilner showed great strength to finish in the corner despite the attention of two Houghton defenders.
With a kick to win the game, Michael Holder saw his attempt drift agonisingly wide before the referee blew the final whistle.