Joel Asoro has shown plenty of promise for Sunderland. Richard Sellers/PA Wire.

Sunderland U23s remain winless in 2017 following a 2-2 home draw to Leicester City on Sunday that sees the Black Cats remain without a win in their last seven games.

The Foxes took the lead six minutes in through Admiral Muskwe before Josh Maja levelled the scores after 37 minutes with a chipped finish.

Muskwe, however, put his side back into the lead five minutes into the second half from close range, although he was forced off due to injury shortly afterwards.

Maja’s 88th minute penalty ensured both sides left Wearside with a point to their name.

Sunderland head coach Elliott Dickman made four changes to his starting 11 following the 3-1 loss to Manchester United U23s at Eppleton on Monday evening. Dan Wright, Joel Asoro, Elliot Embleton and Luke Molyneux all started in place of Jan Kirchhoff, Lynden Gooch, George Honeyman and Donald Love who are back on first-team duties this week.

But Leicester got off to the best start possible at the Stadium of Light, taking just six minutes to open the scoring thanks to Muskwe.

The striker showed strength and endeavour to beat Sam Brotherton to the ball in the final third, before rounding goalkeeper Max Stryjek and slotting into an empty net.

Sunderland were disheartened by this setback but were not defeated as they grew into the game and tested Daniel Iversen on several occasions, albeit from outside the area.

And the hosts got their equaliser 37 minutes in when it was handed to them on a plate by a careless Foxes defence.

Joel Asoro was alert in the final third to intercept a loose pass and leave Sunderland two-versus-one, before the Swede played in Maja who kept his composure to lift over Iversen and into the net.

Much like their first-team however Leicester remained a threat on the counter and Muskwe’s pace caused problems for the Black Cats’ back line throughout the opening 45.

Muskwe’s pace proved the difference once again five minutes after the interval as he made a darting run off the ball and was sent clean through by Josh Knight, before the 18-year-old applied a sliding finish to restore his side’s advantage.

The remainder of the second half was largely a cagey affair with neither side able to create any clear cut chances in front of goal. Ethan Robson came close as he forced Iversen into an impressive save with a 25-yard free-kick four minutes from time.

Robson was at the heart of the play once again shortly afterwards, as he nicked he ball in the area and was fouled leading to the referee to point to the spot.

Maja stepped up and confidently dispatched from 12 yards to earn Sunderland a point at the death, although they will be disappointed not to find that elusive first win of the year.