The Sunderland Women’s football team fell to a heavy 11-1 defeat against unbeaten runaway league winners Teesside University in their Varsity fixture.

Last time out, in February, the result was 5-2 to Teesside and was their smallest winning margin of the season.

Teesside showed their quality and proved why they are the title winners with a dominant performance against their Wearside counterparts.

The result meant that Teesside have won every game they’ve played this season and today’s result helped with the standings for the TeesWear Varsity.

The first goal came on seven minutes as the Teesside number 10 latched onto a through ball and slotted across the goal.

Six minutes later she managed to get on the end of another through ball and rounded the keeper before slotting home her second.

The third almost came on 23 minutes as the ball crashed off the underside of the bar from a corner before the Sunderland defence could hook it away for another corner.

Two minutes later however the Teesside number 10 completed her hat-trick as she headed in directly from a corner.

The fourth goal came as a result of a deflected shot off a Sunderland defender which caught the keeper out and landed in the back of the net.

The next two goals followed within a few minutes of each other, both coming from balls directly through the centre of the Sunderland defence.

Sunderlands best chance of the first half came in the 36th minute when a header from a corner forced a neat diving save from the Teesside keeper.

Teesside retook control of the game and found themselves 8-0 in front after two neat finishes taking them into the half time break.

After the break Teesside’s number 7 bagged goals number nine and ten in the 50th and 60th minutes respectively, the first of which was a well placed shot from outside the box.

The game died out in the final half an hour but Teesside found themselves once again in a scoring position, making it 11-0 on the 70 minute mark.

The last big chance of the game fell Sunderlands way and they took it, after some scrappy play in the box the ball found itself in the back of the net for their only goal of the day.