West End

West End were on a lengthy winless run before Saturday’s victory.

A Martin Thompson brace helped Sunderland West End to a first win in six matches as they beat Annfield Plain 3-1 in their Wearside League clash at the Ford Quarry Complex on Saturday.

Thompson opened the scoring from close range shortly before half-time, and Alan Golightly added a second just after the restart.

West End were pegged back immediately by Aaron Wilkinson, but Thompson restored the two-goal cushion in the 53rd minute with a second from close range.

In the closing stages, referee Mal Bellamy sent Annfield manager Keith Sheardown to the stands.

West End managers Barry Cook and Anthony Nelson made two changes to the side that lost 4-0 last weekend, with Thompson and Lee Smith replacing Stephen Lax and Kyle Young.

And it was the hosts who started the brightest. The first chance came after 11 minutes when Matthew Halliday was played into the box, but his shot went straight at Joe Langstaff in the Annfield goal.

A minute later, Golightly found himself in space in the box and probably should have scored, but his effort found the side netting.

West End had a good chance from a corner on 17 minutes, but Callum Hodgson was unable to direct his header on target.

Annfield went straight up the other end and could have scored when Kieran Gohery found his way into the box, but a good save from Lee Burrell denied the visitors.

Wilkinson then tried the spectacular for the Plain, but Burrell was again there to save his acrobatic effort from the edge of the box.

West End had survived the pressure and started to dictate again. Golightly had a good chance in the 24th minute, but curled it just past Longstaff’s left hand post.

Hodgson then had another good chance, but cannoned his shot over the bar following a corner.

Longstaff was proving difficult to beat and got down low to stop a good effort from Halliday in the 33rd minute.

Thompson then had a good chance to score, but his shot on the turn was off target.

But he did score moments later. Haliday burst into the box and shot, but Langstaff palmed his effort into the path of Thompson, who poked home from five yards out to give West End a 37th minute lead.

And it could have been two just moments later. Smith took the ball past three players before unleashing a shot from the edge of the box, but his effort was just off target.

A frantic start to the second half saw three goals in five minutes decide the game.

West End doubled their lead when Golightly was played in from the right-hand side and smashed home after 48 minutes, but Annfield Plain pulled a goal back straight away as Wilkinson raced clear to go one-on-one with Burrell, before sliding the ball past the keeper.

And Thompson then made it 3-1 to West End with an effort similar to that of Golightly.

The game started to calm down a little. In the 67th minute Halliday had another chance for West End, but he was unable to find the target.

Both sides were getting frustrated by the officiating, but the visiting manager let it show. Sheardown told the linesman what he thought of his performance and was sent to the stands with five minutes to play.

West End finished the game on top and had a few chances to extend their lead.

Hodgson tried an acrobatic effort from the edge of the box, but couldn’t find the target. Halliday then had a shot saved, which rebounded to Young, but his effort was blocked, providing Halliday with another chance, but Longstaff got down well to save it.

Annfield Plain had the last effort of the match, but Wilkinson was unable to add to his earlier goal, with Burrell making an easy save.


West End: Lee Burrell; Callum Hodgson, Reece Thompson, Niall Thubron, Layton Chapman (Kyle Young 60’), Jordon Cook, Lee Smith, Martin Thompson (Josh Winthrop 69’), Matthew Halliday, Alan Golightly (Kieron Martin 73’), Mark Catcheside

Unused subs: David Keithley

Annfield Plain: Joe Longstaff; Kasey Glendinning, Dale Gibson, Philip Hall, Stephan Burrows, Robert Smith, Daniel Walker, Gary McKay, Aaron Wilkinson, Kieran Gohery, Connor Brown

Subs: Cameron Gilroy, Kyle Taylor, Dean Pearce