The University of Sunderland men’s Football 4ths were eliminated from the Northern Conference Plate by Hull 3rds on Wednesday following a 6-2 defeat.

Hull opened the scoring after converting a penalty. The away side doubled their lead shortly after and found themselves 3-0 up after 30 minutes.

Men's FootballGuy Owen pulled one back for Sunderland but Hull were able to find a response before half time.

The visitors made the score 5-1 before Martin Kelly reduced the lead again. Hull managed to find a sixth goal just before the whistle to book their place in the next round.

“It was a game of two halves. We didn’t turn up until the second half and worked hard to get back into it but we just didn’t have the quality,” said player/manager Kelly.

“They were clever and used the wings which were the only part of the pitch which was playable.”

From kick off it was clear it was going to be a stereotypical ‘Sunday league game’. The pitch was very heavy – consisting of more mud than grass – which only got worse as the game went on.

Sunderland fell behind in the 9th minute after giving away a sloppy penalty which was converted by the captain.

The away side doubled their lead minutes later when the striker was able to chip the ball up and hit a spectacular over-head kick into the top right corner of the net following a ball in from the right.

Sunderland were unfortunate not to pull one back when Kelly saw a shot from 30 yards go just inches over the bar.

It was Hull however, who managed to find the third goal on the half hour mark when the left-back was able to run through the middle of the pitch and slot the ball home.

The hosts immediately responded after the kick off. Owen hit a looping effort from the left which went over the keeper and into the top of the net.

Hull made the score 4-1 just before the break when a drilled corner was poked home from the edge of the six yard box.

The visitors made it 5-1 on 60 minutes when the right winger picked up the ball on the half way line, cut inside and tucked the ball into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box.

Sunderland again reduced the lead following a superb solo effort from Kelly on the counter attack. The midfielder picked the ball up on the half way line and managed to beat two players before passing the ball under the goalkeeper.

Just minutes before the final whistle Hull managed to find a sixth goal. The striker opting to go through on goal and score rather than put the ball out after an injury to Alex Morris who was down in the box.


Although a 6-2 defeat doesn’t sound very encouraging, Hull 3rds are currently in the same league as the Sunderland 1sts and the 4ths did cause the away side problems.

The 4ths now have a three week break and will be hoping to bounce back from their cup exit when they take on Leeds College of Art 1sts on Wednesday, December 2.

Starting Line Up
4-1-4-1: L. Pye (GK), C. Stroud, K. Hughes, C. Thornley, G. Owen, A. Morris, A. Ibrahimi, D. Valisoa, M. Kelly, A. Jones, J. Cleminson

Subs: A. Balaggan


1 Comment

  1. Brian Stanley says:

    A very good report keep it up

Leave a Comment