Sunderland West End fell to a shoot-out defeat to Hartlepool FC at the Ford Quarry Complex after surrendering a 3-0 lead in the first round of the Durham Trophy on Saturday.

The Wearsiders raced into an early lead with goals from Michael Wharton, Mark Catcheside and Alan Golightly, despite having Brad Forster sent off with the score at 2-0. westendbadge

But West End were pegged back by a John Stephenson goal before half-time, Jamie Tumilty further reduced the deficit, and another Stephenson strike made it 3-3 and sent the match to penalties.

Josh Noble saved two West End efforts before Rhys Tapner scored the winning penalty for Hartlepool.

West End hadn’t won in two games going into Saturday’s clash, but the home side got off to a flying start, as Wharton put them in front inside the first 10 minutes.

Forster then saw red for the home side, but Catcheside extended the lead in the 20th minute as his free-kick deflected in off the wall.

Golightly immediately added a third, putting West End in a comfortable position, but Stephenson scored for Hartlepool on the half hour mark.

Hartlepool were starting to make use of their extra man and had the best of the second half.

Tumilty added a second for the visitors just after the hour with a well struck free-kick, before Stephenson completed the comeback in the dying seconds of the match.

There is no extra-time in the Durham Trophy, which meant the game would be decided from the spot.

The shoot-out went to sudden death, but West End fell to defeat as Noble and Tapner proved decisive for the visitors.

West End: Niall Thubron, Stephen Lax, Jesse Cutter, Brad Forster, Callum Hodgson, Kyle Young, Jordon Cook, Michael Wharton (Reece Thompson), Matthew Halliday (Adam Frame), Alan Golightly, Mark Catcheside

Hartlepool: Josh Noble, Paul Donaghy (Andrew Blackburn), Paul Moss, Jack Swales, Kieran Campbell (Rhys Tapner), Matthew Gardner, Jonathon Murray, Robert Hammond (Matthew Stokes), Kalon Lloyd, John Stephenson, Jamie Tumilty