FootballLocal sportSouth Shields

South Shields 4-0 Stourbridge: Shields make history in qualifying for First Round of FA Trophy

Mariners Park

South Shields 4-0 Stourbridge

FA Trophy First Round Replay

Tuesday 3rd December, 7:45pm kick-off

Mariners Park

South Shields: Shaw 4, Gilchrist 6, Adams 11, Briggs 36 (PEN)

On Tuesday night South Shields defeated Stourbridge 4-0 in the Third Qualifying Round replay, clinching a place in the First Round for the first time in their history.

After falling victim to a stoppage-time equaliser in their first match, Shields ensured there was no doubt at the second time of asking.

Within 11 minutes Shields were already 3-0 up thanks to goals from Jon Shaw, Jason Gilchrist and Blair Adams, with Robert Briggs scoring from the penalty spot on 36 minutes to make it 4-0.

Shields looked to ensure they got off to a fast start after regrettably conceding a late equaliser in the first encounter.

The first action in the match was Shields taking a 1-0 lead thanks to Shaw. Nathan Lowe found Craig Baxter on the right of the box, he crossed in for Shaw to head into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes later in-form striker Jason Gilchrist netted. Shaw turned provider for this one, playing a perfect pass in for Gilchrist to slide it home.

Shields are often criticised for not being clinical enough in-front of goal. There could be no such complaints here as their third chance was tucked away by Adams. He ran down the left of the box and fired low to the keepers left.

Shields had a chance to increase their lead further as on 22 minutes, Sunderland loanee Jordan Hunter sprinted down the right and crossed in however Briggs could only connect with the woodwork.

In a blow for Shields in future matches goalscorer Adams was subbed off after 25 minutes due to injury. In a like for like swap, left-back Kieran Charlton took his place.

After Gilchrist was fouled in the box, Briggs converted the penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way as he dispatched into the bottom left corner to make it 4-0 going into half-time.

The second half was not as eventful with Shields cruising, however Shields could have scored even more as Gilchrist finished brilliantly. However the referee had already blew the whistle for offside.

On the 72nd minute Briggs nearly had his second of the game. His shot from 25 yards out was magnificently tipped over the bar by Stourbridge goal-keeper Charlie Price.

The final whistle blew with no further goals in the game, Shields will face Southport in the FA Trophy first round at Mariners Park on Saturday December 14th.

SOUTH SHIELDS: Boney, Hunter, Adams (Charlton 25), Turnbull, Morse, Brown, Baxter, Briggs, Gilchrist, Lowe (Jenkins 77), Shaw (c) (Alli 57).

Subs not used: Coombe, Wade, Hodgson, Odelusi.

STOURBRIDGE: Price, Tonks, Cook, Winwood, Green, Carter (c), Landell, Taylor, Dwyer (Lloyd 71), Grocott, Nicholls.

Subs not used: Tilt, Birch, Wren.

Attendance: 612

Leave a Reply