Local sportUncategorised

Newton Aycliffe 3-2 Seaham Red Star

Seaham Red Star squandered a two-goal lead against Newton Aycliffe at the Beaumont Landscapes Stadium to lose 3-2

Red Star started superbly within the first 32 minutes as Dan Sayer and Louis Anderson headed in crosses to give the visitors the advantage.

Before half time the score was level again as Aycliffe skipper Aaron Brown and Ben Dibb-Fuller found the net within the space of four minutes.

Seven minutes after the break Jake Petitjean scored from the penalty spot for what would end up to be the decisive goal for Newton Aycliffe.

An early December clash was the second meeting of the two sides, after Red Star were victorious earlier in the season in August as they came out 1-0 winners at Seaham Town Park.

The first half wasn’t short of action as in the 11th minute Aycliffe’s Paul Weldon hit the post from the edge of the area, leaving Red Star goalkeeper Jack Patton flat-footed. 

In the 23rd minute the scoring was opened as Mark Robinson swung in a dangerous free kick which Dan Sayer nodded across the the Aycliffe goalkeeper Adam Pickford.

Four minutes later Aycliffe right back Nick Green flew into a dangerous tackle on Sayer which was only met with a caution.

Minutes after, Joshua Bages and Liam Haywood played an intricate one-two to get in behind however Adam Pickford made a smart stop down to his left, from the resulting corner Robinson delivered another testing delivery which was headed home this time by Louis Anderson to double the advantage.

Straight from the kick off Aycliffe rattled Patton’s other post as Andrei Ardelean took aim from the same spot the other post had been hit.

It was then the hosts turn to score a header via a set piece as Aaron Brown headed in a corner, and just on the stroke of halftime Ben Dibb-Fuller was slotted one-on-one and he dispatched accordingly.

Seven minutes after the break Jack Patton brought down Ardelean in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Jake Petitjean converted from 12 yards.

After a scrappy second half and with two minutes of normal time to go, Louis Anderson caught onto a ball in behind and managed to lob the keeper however Aycliffe somehow managed to sweep it off the line.

A fourth loss in six sees Seaham remain 13th in Ebac Northern Football League Division 1.