FeaturedFootballTeam SunderlandUniversity football

Sunderland 3rds ‘unlucky’ not to get a point after a narrow defeat to Sunderland 2nds

After a strong second half performance Sunderland 3rds we’re left to rue missed chances as Sunderland 2nds ran out 3-1 winners.

Two first half goals put Sunderland 2nds in control before Adam Gill’s screamer gave the third hope of securing their first point of the season but a late third goal, five minutes from time, ensured all three points went to the second team.

Adam Gill, Sunderland 3rd team captain and midfielder, gave his reaction to his team’s performance: “I thought it was a good performance today, I thought after a few poor results we’ve put a lot of effort in training and today showed.

“I think we worked really hard from start to finish didn’t get the result we want, but we put the 2nds to the sword for the full game and I’m proud of the lads.”

Gill added: “First half we went two goals down, but second half we picked up, we regrouped, the effort was phenomenal again, we got a goal quite early on in the half and we were unlucky not to get a point.

“I think tired legs showed in the end and they nicked a third goal, but again I’m proud of the lads and the effort was outstanding.”

When asked about his phenomenal second half strike Gill said: “Yeah, first goal of the season for me and first goal at uni as well, so it was really special, and to especially against the second team, I’m quite proud of it.

“The main thing is the lads were outstanding and the team performance was great as well.”