FeaturedTeam Sunderland

Team Sunderland’s Josh Hutton lands BUCS title and British record

Team Sunderland Elite Athlete Josh Hutton had a memorable weekend at the 2023 British University and College Sport (BUCS) Weightlifting Championships winning gold and breaking the British record.

The competition at Bangor University saw the best athletes come together from universities across the UK to compete.

18-year-old Josh won his Men’s 102kg category by a comfortable margin and topped off the victory by breaking the British Under 20 record for both the Snatch and the overall weight lifted.

Josh lifted 132kg for the Snatch stage of the competition before lifting 150kg for the Clean and Jerk stage to give him an overall total of 282kg.

The Sports Rehab Therapy student is in his first year at the University of Sunderland and said: “I went in feeling really confident, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but I felt confident in my ability going into the competition to take the win.”

On breaking the British U20 record Josh said: “It’s one of those things that’s always on my mind when you go into a competition, if I’m feeling good on the day I’ll always go for it.”

This is Josh’s first year on the Elite Athlete scheme, which sees Team Sunderland support high performing athletes with funding as well as other benefits outlined here.

Josh said of the support he’s received: “It’s been brilliant, the funding has been able to help with my training and my diet, as well as being able to afford new equipment.”

Josh has now qualified for the British Senior Championships in August in Manchester where he’ll be looking to win his first Senior title and break more records.