FeaturedRugbyTeam SunderlandUniversity rugby

Elite Athletes 2023/24 – Aaron Harlow-Stephenson 

Introducing to the 2023-24 Sunderland Elite Athletes scheme is accomplished rugby player Aaron Harlow-Stephenson. 

Team Sunderland Elite Athlete Harlow-Stephenson thanked Team Sunderland and has said the funding is “massively helping” with his injury rehabilitation and travel to games. 

Harlow-Stephenson has recently joined Rugby Union League One side Keighley Cougars, and got his first run out in red, green and white in a pre-season friendly against Oldham on Boxing Day.

It has been a career that has suffered misfortune on more than one occasion, tearing his ACL on mote than one occasion.

This has led to Harlow-Stephenson admitting he is extremely grateful for Team Sunderland’s Elite Athlete Scheme, helping him through difficult times in his career, stating his gratitude for the “level of support” that was offered to him. 

“It’s been a long road to recovery. Rehabilitation has honestly been a nightmare.”

“The rehab has been class, hammering the gym, getting my leg strength back – I’m getting physio now at University Of Sunderland through the Elite Athlete scheme.”

Harlow-Stephenson previously plied his trade in the North East for the now-folded Newcastle Thunder.

“It was such a good team, and it was my local team. Keith Christie, the chairman, gave me a chance when I was left without a club because of my injury”.

”I hope they come back stronger”.