FeaturedFootballTeam SunderlandUniversity footballUniversity sport

Team Sunderland 2nds Coach: “We Can Play Better”

Team Sunderland 2nds coach Chris Mann has claimed his side can play even better following his side’s 8-3 thrashing of rivals Sunderland 3rds.

Speaking after the game, Mann revealed that despite the score-line he still expects improvement from his side.

“We can play better. I think overall we’ve got to be happy with the 3 points. But performance-wise I think we can definitely step it up another 10 or 20%. There are things to work on but overall I’m happy with the result.”

Mann’s side racked up their biggest win of the season so far in what was a highly physical derby encounter, with Sunderland 3rds receiving two red cards and tensions between the two sides being high throughout.

When asked about his thoughts on the way the intensity of the game, the Sunderland coach said:

“It was scrappy and there were a lot of meaty challenges. At the end of the day it’s a derby and we knew that was going to be the case so I thought the lads dealt with it well.” 

Substitute Jack Murphy came off the bench and scored a brace late on, and Mann has admitted that it has caused him a selection headache ahead of his side’s next fixture against York, albeit a positive one.

“He has given me something to think about absolutely. It’s what I’m looking for, for them to give me headaches and he’s definitely done that.”

“He hasn’t sulked on the sidelines when he wasn’t selected and he’s come on and grabbed himself 2 goals. I’m very happy for him and we’ll look at it in 2 weeks.”

Sunderland 2nds host York at home in two weeks time at Silksworth, where they look to achieve back to back wins for the first time this season.