FeaturedMartial artsTeam SunderlandUniversity sport

Team Sunderland’s Park selected for GB Taekwondo squad

Team Sunderland Elite Athlete Cameron Park has once again been selected for the GB Taekwondo squad for 2021.

The 23-year-old competed in a series of selection events throughout the last few months and was rewarded with selection for the eighth consecutive year.

He said: “The selection process is usually held in Manchester at the national academy, though this time it was held on zoom in which skill, technique, fitness and mental resilience was all tested via numerous exercises.”

The 2020 Sportsperson of the Year Award, has been supported by the Elite Athlete Scheme since he started at the University of Sunderland in 2018.

Park said: “The scheme has been great as it has supported me financially and the nutritional advice allows me to keep my nutrition at its peak.”

In what has been a challenging year with various lockdowns and restrictions Park has been able to train out of CitySpace’s Fitness Suite while also receiving one to one training from CitySpace’s Chris Curtis as part of Team Sunderland’s continued commitment to their Elite Athlete’s.

Park was full of praise for the support he’s received: “My physical conditioning has reached a new level through my strength & conditioning sessions with Chris, not only am I physically excelling, my mental strength to push through hard sessions has also increased.”

The sport & exercise science student has also enjoyed the challenges of balancing a degree with his training especially this year.

He said: “my lecturers have been fantastic. They understand my commitment to elite sport and are very supportive. As I’m doing a sport science degree, they understand my life and the challenges I go through.”