FootballLocal sport

Monkwearmouth 7A: 11-2 Farringdon – “They just keep getting better”

Source: MonkwearmouthFA, Twitter

Monkwearmouth Academy’s aspiring Year 7As reached the semi-finals of the Sunderland Schools League Cup, and assistant coach Josh Akal believes his squad is only getting better.

The group certainly took their chances, which included a hat-trick by Charlie Stoker and braces by Jay Gibson and Ryan Davies. Single goals by Josh Jones, Fin Dixon and Layton Minchella wrapped up the game nicely for Monkwearmouth.

Akal was impressed with how the team adjusted to the 4G pitch, and with the semi-final of the Schools League Cup to look forward to, he is excited to see how the players continue to develop.

He said: “I said a couple of weeks ago to Jamie after they played that ‘they just keep getting better and better’ – today really proved that.

“It was the first time I got to see them on a 4g pitch and some of the stuff they played was just a joy to watch. I only had praise for the boys.

“What I was most pleased with was how good they were without the ball; when the opposition had the ball they were always in twos and threes working as hard as they could to get the ball back.

“Overall a fantastic performance and I’m looking forward to seeing them in the last 16 of the national cup next week.”

Year 7As face Garforth Academy in the last 16 of the National Cup at home within the next week with a date to be arranged shortly.