BoxingFeatured

Calum French says “I’m not just here to fight journeymen” ahead of upcoming bout this Saturday

Former team GB star Calum French looks to go 4-0 in Leeds this weekend against undefeated Kurt Jackson (3-0-0) on the undercard of Josh Warrington vs Luis Alberto Lopez, live on DAZN.

Since turning professional under the Matchroom banner, the Birtley man has amassed a record of 3-0, however he unquestionably faces his toughest test so far on Saturday. He takes on Yorkshire’s Kurt Jackson who is yet to lose in a professional boxing ring. However, French is certainly up for this test, suggesting that “It excites me that Matchroom are providing me with tests, as that what’s I’m in the sport for, I’m not just here to fight journeymen. I’ve been boxing the best in the world for the past 6 years with Team GB so i want to be challenged”.

Due to the show in Leeds being stopped for two hours while the World Cup quarter final between England and France takes precedence on the big screens in the arena, French will compete in the ring at around 2pm, however he suggests this won’t influence his fight day preparations, stating that “The early start won’t affect me as I’m professional with the weight and do not have to dehydrate much so the window for hydration does not have to be as long. I’ll just schedule my meals for sooner in the day to fuel up”.

The early fights in a boxers’ professional career are supremely important as it’s about gaining as much experience as possible, hence why many coaches want their fighters to prioritise getting rounds, but Calum French has said “If the stoppage is there I won’t hesitate to take it. My plan for Saturday is to listen to what my coach tells me to do and box to my strengths”.

When turning professional, French was in very high demand with his impressive amateur pedigree. He decided to turn professional with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing, due to their global presence in the world of boxing. He told me that “100% Matchroom are the A-Team and the best as what they do. I believe my career is in good hands with them as they continue to get me brilliant opportunities”.

Saturday will be the second time that French will box in Leeds and it’s another great opportunity for exposure on a huge stage. He will box at around 2pm live on DAZN Boxing, be sure to tune in.