FootballLocal sportNorthern League

Late Patton strike snatches all three points

A late Kyle Patton strike snatched all three points for North Shields as they beat Northallerton Town 3-2 at a frosty Calvert Stadium.

The Robins took the lead early on with Adam  Forster’s low effort before Scott McCarthy doubled the visitors lead with a close-range header.

However, a David Hillerby strike before half time kept Northallerton within touching distance.

Callum Smith’s penalty kick then brought the hosts level just after the restart.

But with moments to spare before full time, Patton’s fine finish helped the Robins come away with all three points.

The hosts started brightly and after only two minutes, a smart block from Ben Christensen denied Northallerton a certain goal.

Shields were starting to warm into the game and in the eighth minute, McCarthy found himself in acres of space after a run into the penalty area. However, he was unable to connect with the cross and the ball was cleared to safety.

The Robins broke the deadlock in the 13th minute when captain Forster low shot from 20-yards out zipped past  home keeper Andy Coulson and into the back of the net.

Northallerton responded well and only three minutes later, a long-range effort flew just wide of the upright.

In the 28th minute, a cross from McCarthy, following a mazy run, presented Ryan Carr a chance on goal, only for the Shields midfielder to see his header comfortably saved by Coulson.

Four minutes later and the Robins had their second of the day when Carr knocked the ball down to McCarthy in the six-yard box, with the attacker left with the simplest of finishes to double the lead.

It didn’t take long for the hosts to respond and in the 35th minute, after the Shields defence failed to clear a Northallerton corner, Hillerby was on hand to volley home from the edge of the area.

The Robins pressed forward in an effort to  regain their two-goal lead, with Cam Cunningham and Carr both having excellent chances.

However, it was Northallerton who came closest to scoring when a cross into the box from Connor Lowes was narrowly missed by Smith.

The hosts were rewarded for their efforts and in the 55th minute, Smith went one better by converting a spot kick which was awarded for a foul on Ryan McKendry by Christensen.

After letting their two-goal lead slip, Shields came out firing and in the 58th minute, a great cross from Cunningham found Patton in the box but home keeper Coulson flapped at his shot and managed to clear it to safety.

In the 79th minute, Patton was once again at the heart of the Robins attack and after a powerful run forwards, his shot at goal was flew harmlessly over the crossbar.

With the game coming to a close, the Northallerton support thought their side had managed to secure a point against the red-hot Robins.

However, Gary Ormston picked out Patton with an exquisite ball, allowing the attacker to streak through on goal and slot the ball under Coulson and into the back of the net; securing the Robins’ fifth straight win.

As a result, the Robins now climb to second in the Northern League Division One table whilst Northallerton now occupy 16th place.

Leave a Reply