FootballNUFC

Eddie Howe set to treat new Newcastle job like family

Eddie Howe was unveiled as Newcastle’s new head coach on Wednesday afternoon and he looks set to treat his new job like as if it were family.

Howe replaced the sacked Steve Bruce following an exhaustive recruitment process and is committed to “giving everything to the job” to prevent a third relegation in 12 years.

Howe said: “It feels fantastic to be here. I’m honoured, privileged & it’s an incredible moment in my life. I’d like to thank the board for trusting me in this job & for everyone who has helped me.

“I’ve been very impressed by the new owners & their vision for the club. But my main focus is to avoid relegation, everything else can wait.”

Owing to the hours Howe intends to dedicate to managing the club his family will move, likely after Christmas, to the north east.

“Absolutely – my family will be moving here. It’s so important I commit to the area. I’m all in here,” Howe added.

He added that “the level of excitement and respect shown” by fans was “a new experience” but it is something he will relish.

Howe continued: “I will treat the club as if it was my own family & do my best for the team & my family.

“I’ve been very impressed by the new owners & their vision for the club. But my main focus is to avoid relegation, everything else can wait. I am absolutely confident we can (survive) but I can’t make any promises on it. I will commit everything to bring success.

“The pull of the club is huge. Obviously the new ambitious owners, knowing some of the squad. Yes, I’ve had lots of other options but I wanted to be refreshed & pick the right opportunity. I feel this is it.”

Howe confirmed the arrival of former Bournemouth staff Jason Tindall, Simon Weatherstone and Stephen Purches to work alongside Graeme Jones, and fresh Bournemouth arrival, Dan Hodges.

Howe’s debut match will be against Brentford at a virtually sold-out St James’ Park on November 20 with the Magpies 19th in the table and currently winless in 11, their worst start to a season in history.