North ShieldsUncategorised

Barton Town 2-3 North Shields FC

North Shields progress to the last 32 of the FA Vase after Ryan Carr’s 94th minute winner settled a chaotic game. 

David Robinson scored the first of the match after 29 minutes, but Ben Hinchliffe pegged one back for Barton five minutes later. 

Shields regained the lead after Andrew Cartwright scored directly from a corner, before both sides had penalties saved on the 73rd and 77th minute. 

The visitors thought they’d have to go to penalties once again when Tom Waudby headed in, but Carr sent Shields into euphoria when he scored in the very last minute. 

After their last two games were postponed Shields were eager to get back to winning ways in the Cup they tend to do well in. 

Shields were the better team for the majority of the first half, with Barton keeper Mike Emery pulling off a series of good saves to keep the score at evens. 

Robinson opened the scoring after he was sent through by Dan Wilson, a move which reminisced of Robinsons opener against North Ferriby in the previous round. 

The score was level again on the 34th minute though after Hinchliffe poked a shot just past Olly Marshall in the Shields net. 

The second half began much more evenly then the first, with Marshall and Emery both being called into action on numerous occasions. 

However it was Shields who took their chance the first on the 63rd, in a rare circumstance. Full-back Cartwright’s corner evaded the head of anyone in the box and had just enough curl to bend into Barton’s net. 

Barton retaliated quickly, and a brilliant chance presented itself when Curtis Bateson was hacked down in the box. Hinchliffe took up to take but Marshall predicted he would go to his left and got down well to save. 

Marshall has proved to be a master of penalty saves, with that being his 3rd penalty save in as many games in the FA Vase. 

Just four minutes later Dan Wilson had the chance to put Shields two goals ahead from the penalty spot, but it kept on proving to be the day of the goalkeepers with Emery saving well. 

Shields then had then had their heart in their mouths when Tom Waudby pounced on some poor defending from a cross, only for the linesmen to spare their blushes. 

But the warning wasn’t enough for Shields as Waudby once again scored in the 90th minute from a Barton cross in the box, only this time it would count for the hosts. 

The game looked destined for penalties, but Shields hit the ball up the field one last time in hope, only for a poor clearance from the Barton defence to land at the feet of Ryan Carr who buried the ball on the half volley and put the home fans in disbelief. 

Shields will now advance to the next round of the competition where they’ll play the winner of Prestwich Ways against Harborough Town.