FeaturedFootballLocal sportSeaham Red Star

Stoppage-Time Winner Sinks Star

A 94th minute winner by Simon Heslop condemned Seaham Red Star to a fourth successive defeat as they lost 3-2 at home to league leaders Consett.

Star dominated large portions of the game and were rewarded as Jamie Clark gave Star the lead five minutes into the second half, before Consett equalised straight away through Matthew Slocombe.

Star retook the lead with 13 minutes from time through Adam Lennox, before Heslop equalised three minutes later before going onto to grab the late winner.

Consett move 8 points clear at the top of the Northern League with the win, while Star remain 14th, ten points clear of the relegation zone with 14 games left to play.

Star boss Mark Collingwood was limited in his options for the game, only naming three substitutes due to Covid-19 cases in the Star camp.

Star dominated the first half, not allowing Consett to play out of their own half, but were unable to take their chances, with Adam Lennox’s dink into Kyle Hayes’ chest the best chance.

Star’s dominance was rewarded early in the second half, as the ball fell to on loan Blyth Spartans striker Clark 25 yards from goal, who buried it into the bottom corner for 1-0.

However, Consett were level almost from kick off as the ball fell to Slocombe and, just like Clark, buried his long-range effort to equalise.

Star felt aggrieved when Clark was took out in the box midway through the second half, but rather than give a penalty, the referee played advantage as the ball fell to Hayes to collect.

Star deservedly retook the lead on 77 minutes as Lennox made a jinking run past three Consett defenders and slotted past the oncoming Hayes.

Consett levelled almost immediately as Nick Cassidy’s cross found the head of the oncoming Heslop, who planted his header past Andrew Jennison to set up a tense finish.

And after missing an open net a minute earlier, Heslop didn’t make a second blunder as he smashed home from close range to win the points.