FootballLocal sport

Ten man Whickham sweep aside Pickering Town

Whickham inflicted more misery on relegation threatened Pickering Town on Saturday as they won 4-1 at The First Mortgage Glebe.

Dan Turner opened the scoring and Shay Richardson scored two at the right end, and then one at his own in the first half.

Tom Romano scored his first Whickham goal and his team’s fourth at the death of the match.

It’s a result that guides Whickham to 50 points whilst Pickering remain second-bottom.

The match lacked quality and talking points for the first period but 19 minutes in Kaleb Young received a straight red card for a late tackle on Kofi Appiah, as the ball got away and he kicked the Pickering man’s ankle.

Whickham didn’t seem to be affected as minutes later the ball was fizzed into Kyle Patton on the edge of the box who took aim, but his shot was saved by the legs of Harrison McGuire.

A minute later, the on loan man Dan Turner jinked past Jamie Poole and Appiah on the edge of the box before slotting a finish into the bottom corner.

10 minutes later Turner was at the heart of a Whickham attack again as he shot from distance and hit Paul Roddam who deflected the ball just over the bar.

Moments after the lead was doubled as Turner hit a hard and low cross into the box from the left which Shay Richardson ran onto perfectly and tapped into the net.

Richardson once again had the ball in the net five minutes later – his own end – after Liam Love crossed in and the Whickham man deflected past Nick Liversedge.

Just before the break it was Richardson scoring again after Turner whipped in a free kick from out wide which McGuire dropped to the feet of Harry Yoxall, who passed to Richardson to fire into a deserted goal.

After the break, Pickering continued to struggle with the one man advantage and Whickham pressed on as Dale Burrell met a Turner corner which he headed onto Roddam and the ball went narrowly wide of the post.

The game consisted of very little for much of the second half but with 10 minutes left Sam Conway had a chance from eight yards out as the ball was squared to him but his shot flew out of the stadium.

The fourth and final goal was scored at the death of added time as debutant Tom Romano carried the ball 40 yards beating multiple players along the way and placed the ball into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box to cap off an excellent Whickham performance.