FeaturedFootballLocal sport

Match Report: Gateshead through on penalties against Weston-super-Mare

Underdogs Weston-super-Mare produced a strong performance to take a weakened Gateshead side to penalties, however the hosts showed superior finishing as they progressed to the fifth round of the FA Trophy. 

The Gulls broke the deadlock via a precise curling effort from Dayle Grubb before a Louis Storey header tied things up going into half time. 

At the start of the second half The Tynesiders placed themselves forward with a close range Marcus Dianga header, until another header, this time from Lloyd Humphries ensured the match ended with penalties where the hosts would win 4-3.

Leading into the match, Gateshead had one win to their name in their last five league matches against a team in similar form as Weston-super-Mare were without a win in five league fixtures. A much changed Gateshead side welcomed Ben Worman and Will Constantin as they made their home debuts against the National League South outfit.

Weston-super-Mare looked to create an upset when in the third minute Skipper Grubb curled in, from outside the box, an effort that floated past Harrison Bond between the sticks and sent the underdogs a goal to the good.

Looking to further their lead, Humphries for The Gulls tried to catch Harrison Bond who was off his line, his chip from 40 yards only narrowly missing the target.

Following Humphries’ chance the match seemed to quiet down as both teams struggled to produce in the final third, this was until the 19th minute when Storey headed narrowly over the bar from a Connor Mcbride free kick.

Gateshead looked to threaten in the 34th minute following what was some excellent passing play, eventually the ball found its way to Oli Thompson inside the box who tried to catch the keeper out on his near post, however Max Harris was able to parry it out for a corner.

Applying pressure in the final minutes of the first half, Connor McBride managed to wriggle past multiple players to find himself inside the box however he failed to contain his shot as it went wayward.

Marcus Dinanga then failed to get his footing right inside the box following an excellent driving cross from Jordan Hunter, the ball easily collected by Harris.

Gateshead finally got their equaliser in the last kick of the first half when, following a throw-in, Storey capitalised on a floated ball from Will Constantin to make it level going into the interval.

The second half started just how it had ended, only 24 seconds into the second half Mcbride produced some fantastic skill to take it past his full back and into the box, Dinanga met his cross with a close range header from inside the 6 yard box. 

Weston-super-Mare’s Reuben Reid tried to bring the game back for his side in the 51st minute however found himself off balance as his half volley rolled past Bond’s goal.

Threatening once more, in the 54th minute, Grubb received the ball outside the box and tried to curl it past Bond once again, after the keeper parried it into the path of Jamie Soule the 20 year old shot stopper produced yet another strong reflex save to deny the visitors.

Things then got worse for the visitors when in the 56th minute, veteran Robbie Willmot was shown a red for dissent following a call from the official.

Despite the red card The Gulls had yet another chance to tie the game up when Keiran Thomas hit the crossbar following a Jordan Bastin inswinging corner.

Following the chance the game lost its momentum slightly, during this lull in chances, both teams looked to their bench, Worman and Mcbride both coming off for Luke Hannant and Regan Booty for the Tynesiders whilst Rex Mannings came on in replacement of Soule.

Thompson nearly capitalised off the back of yet another solid piece of passing play in the 74th minute, however his shot only managed to go straight to the keeper.

Jordan Hunter then made way for Lucas Lowry, marking his first team debut for the youngster.

The 17 year old went straight into proceedings with a low cross into the path of Dinanga however failed to get his first touch right, meaning The Gulls could clear their lines.

Thompson once again found himself in space to shoot on the counter, arriving into the box alongside two other teammates he decided to take the shot on, however it only went as far as Harris at the near post.

Ten men Weston-super-Mare however provided a shock equaliser from a Grubb corner, Humphries rising high above the Gateshead defence and heading home past Bond to take the game to penalties.

The shootout saw Grubb and Fletcher fail to score for The Gulls as Storey scored the winner after Dinanga’s penalty was stopped by Harris.